INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Too many problems  (Read 2329 times)

khaos10

Too many problems
« on: June 15, 2002, 06:45:34 pm »

I'm going to condense all my posts into this one and hopefully someone from this organization will be on this board during the week and will answer them.
I'm a little dissapointed in that I don't have the time during the week to do much on my PC, and I was looking forward to this weekend in setting up my music collection on my PC using this program. This board is the only offered support, and it seems weekends aren't a good time for it. It staretd poorly last week when server issues completely messed up me licensing this prog. It unfortunately seems now like that was an omen. This is why:

1. I have a DVD ROM and a CDRW. The CDRW is much faster and I want to use that as the drive to rip. Under options, I choose it over my DVD drive and OK it, but it never stays. It always reverts back to the DVD drive. Now I can still rip from the CDRW, but my PC freezes for over a minute to 2 minutes every time while it searches my DVD drive first and then finally sees my CDRW as where the CD is at. Why won't it let me change the primary ripping drive?

2. Now, after updating to the .293 version of MJ8 from the earlier MJ8 version I had, when I try to rip it plays the CD at the same time. This of course means it would take me the same time as the length of the CD to rip it. I'm ripping as uncompressed waves. I have the HD space and prefer the quality they offer. There was a suggestion of turning off the autoplay in windows, but 1) it shouldn't matter because it doesn't autoplay when I put the CD in, only when I click copy to rip it, and 2)I want the autoplay feature for other CD software I may use

3. I go to the plugins pages on this site using IE 6.0 and most times I get the "Invalid Package File" error when I try to download anything. Eventually after numerous tries, it will begin the download, but it never tells me the name of the file or where it's downloading and/or installing to. It tells me it's installed, but I still don't have the plug-in in MJ8 and I have no idea where it's at or what the hell the name of it is.

4. If I copy/paste lyrics to the edit area for lyrics for a song and then save, it shows on the lyrics line initially with squares after each individual line, and I save the changes again for that song, but the ltrics never save.

This looked like a great program to allow me to place my music collection on my PC and enjoy creating playlists and massive shuffles and have it throughout my place via my network, but now I can't rip correctly, I can't save lyrics, I can't even get plugins to download right. Needless to say, I'm not very impressed or happy with this product and the level of support.

Specs:

Soyo K7A Dragon Plus mobo
AMD Athlon 1.53GHz (OC by clock only) CPU temp never goes above 44c, case never above 35c
512MB Crucial PC2100 RAM in two 256MB sticks
Dual Boot:
98SE (40GB WD 7200rpm ATA100)
WIN2000 which MJ8 is installed to (80GB WD 7200rpm ATA100)
2 extra HDs, both NTFS format, (60GB Maxtor 7200rpm ATA100)(120GB WD 7200rpm ATA100)
Pioneer DVD ROM 14x
LiteOn 40x12x48x CDRW
Iomega 100MB Zip drive
No A: drive
SB Live Value
GeForce4 Ti 4600

The DVD and CDRW are on IDE1
The Zip and Maxtor drive are on IDE2
The 98SE and 2000 are on IDE3 RAID controller running as IDE
The 120GB drive is on IDE4 and is where the rips go to.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Too many problems
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2002, 07:00:19 pm »

1. I have a DVD ROM and a CDRW. The CDRW is much faster and I want to use that as the drive to rip. Under options, I choose it over my DVD drive and OK it, but it never stays. It always reverts back to the DVD drive. Now I can still rip from the CDRW, but my PC freezes for over a minute to 2 minutes every time while it searches my DVD drive first and then finally sees my CDRW as where the CD is at. Why won't it let me change the primary ripping drive?

MJ rips from whatever drive you put the CD in.  In options, you're just picking which drive to configure. (so there's nothing to "stick")  Also, make sure you have "Search for files in subfolders" off for best performance.

2. Now, after updating to the .293 version of MJ8 from the earlier MJ8 version I had, when I try to rip it plays the CD at the same time. This of course means it would take me the same time as the length of the CD to rip it. I'm ripping as uncompressed waves. I have the HD space and prefer the quality they offer. There was a suggestion of turning off the autoplay in windows, but 1) it shouldn't matter because it doesn't autoplay when I put the CD in, only when I click copy to rip it, and 2)I want the autoplay feature for other CD software I may use

What extraction mode are you using?  Try "digital large buffer".

I go to the plugins pages on this site using IE 6.0 and most times I get the "Invalid Package File" error when I try to download anything. Eventually after numerous tries, it will begin the download, but it never tells me the name of the file or where it's downloading and/or installing to. It tells me it's installed, but I still don't have the plug-in in MJ8 and I have no idea where it's at or what the hell the name of it is.

Ideally, it's a one-click install.  However, firewalls and proxies sometimes trip it up -- we're working on it.  What plugin in particular doesn't work?

If I copy/paste lyrics to the edit area for lyrics for a song and then save, it shows on the lyrics line initially with squares after each individual line, and I save the changes again for that song, but the ltrics never save.

The squares are the line feed characters. (since it's a single line preview, it can't display them)  Whether any of those "tag only" fields get saved depend on the file type and plugin settings in Plugin Manager. (requires ID3v2 for mp3)

Needless to say, I'm not very impressed or happy with this product and the level of support.

Sorry you're not happy.  However, this is the weekend, and you've recieved several replies from JRiver employees, and other kind souls who are trying to help you.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

khaos10

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2002, 07:28:38 pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MJ rips from whatever drive you put the CD in. In options, you're just picking which drive to configure. (so there's nothing to "stick") Also, make sure you have "Search for files in subfolders" off for best performance.

"Search for files in subfolders" is not checked. Is there an issue with my PC setup that would cause the freeze? I watch my DVD drive get accessed by the lite blinking on it before it finally begins ripping from my CDRW. This is a 1 to 2 minute freeze. The mouse will not move.

What extraction mode are you using? Try "digital large buffer".

Uncompressed WAV and "Digital Large Buffer" is chosen. I was able to rip without this problem before. Now I can't rip without the CD playing.

I go to the plugins pages on this site using IE 6.0 and most times I get the "Invalid Package File" error when I try to download anything. Eventually after numerous tries, it will begin the download, but it never tells me the name of the file or where it's downloading and/or installing to. It tells me it's installed, but I still don't have the plug-in in MJ8 and I have no idea where it's at or what the hell the name of it is.
Ideally, it's a one-click install. However, firewalls and proxies sometimes trip it up -- we're working on it. What plugin in particular doesn't work?

Album View - 1.0.3 and Web Remote - 1.0.6
I do have a router for my network.

If I copy/paste lyrics to the edit area for lyrics for a song and then save, it shows on the lyrics line initially with squares after each individual line, and I save the changes again for that song, but the ltrics never save.
The squares are the line feed characters. (since it's a single line preview, it can't display them) Whether any of those "tag only" fields get saved depend on the file type and plugin settings in Plugin Manager. (requires ID3v2 for mp3)

The file type I'm pasting from is a regular text file into a ripped uncompressed wav file for the song.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2002, 07:43:40 pm »

I watch my DVD drive get accessed by the lite blinking on it before it finally begins ripping from my CDRW. This is a 1 to 2 minute freeze. The mouse will not move.

That sounds like a hardware issue.  Does it help if you empty that drive of any discs?

Uncompressed WAV and "Digital Large Buffer" is chosen. I was able to rip without this problem before. Now I can't rip without the CD playing.

Bizarre -- never heard of it before.  JohnT (the CD guru) may have some ideas on Monday.

Album View - 1.0.3 and Web Remote - 1.0.6
I do have a router for my network.

Currently, MJ may be using the wrong proxy I.P. address in some cases.  This will be fixed in a maintenance release available sometime soon.

The file type I'm pasting from is a regular text file into a ripped uncompressed wav file for the song.

WAV's don't support tags, so can't support "tag only" fields.

Take care.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.

khaos10

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2002, 08:06:37 pm »

Since the CD playing while ripping with the CDRW occured, the freeze is no longer there. The DVD will rip without playing, but the CDRW won't. Being that the CDRW is almost 3 times faster as it gets to the outer songs, I would really like to use it. It did work before, just with the initial freezing issue.

I prefer to use WAVs. I have Klipsch speakers and Sennheiser headphones and they will show the quality or lack thereof, especially the Sennheisers. Is there any plans for adding lyrics to WAVs without tagging or a plugin that will make the WAV support tagging? I'm a rookie at this, so maybe a need someone to explain tagging to me.

I downloaded Album View to my HD and installed from there. It shows up under the interface plugin, but the start button is grayed out.

Thanks for the help. I've been a little frustrated, but I appreciate the effort and look forward to using this prog.

khaos10

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2002, 08:13:29 pm »

OK. Bonehead here DID have analog instead of digital large buffer for the cdrw. I kept on looking at the setting for the DVD. Sorry. It works now, and so far no more freezes either.

My only thing now is the plugins and the tagging thing.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2002, 08:21:16 pm »

> Plugins

Hang in there.  Like I said, we're working on this.

> Tagging

I mentioned it in the other thread, but I'll give the pitch again: use APE.   It's lossless (bit perfect copies), saves some space, supports flexible tagging, and adds CRC checking that WAV's don't have.  It's included with MJ 8.0, so you're ready to go.  Check it out: http://www.monkeysaudio.com

WAV's can't really support tags. (at least not in any widely supported way)

And aren't Sennheiser's great?  I love my HD 600's....

Hoping you're feeling a little more happy and maybe even a little less unimpressed...

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.

khaos10

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2002, 08:34:37 pm »

LOL
Yes. I am.

The freezing is back on the CDRW though. Here's what happens: I put a CD in the CDRW, MJ brings up the window saying it's analyzing devices. I'll see my HD get hit. I'll see it get hit again, then the DVD drive, and then finally the CDDB connection comes up and I'm able to rip. Everything eventually works, but the lag is a little irritating.

If I rip using ape, and then want to burn a CD later, what difference will I hear when it converts it back to cda or wav so I can play it in my car or laptop? I'm picky on quality, I spend enough on speakers and receivers that I demand the best I can afford. If it's bit perfect, where is the compression and how does it save space?

Do many people have issues with those idiotic interactive CDs? The last Fionna Apple one won't burn the last track and gives an error "Failed To Read Sector 232178: Incorrect Function"

Thanks again.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2002, 08:39:54 pm »

I also use APE, this is a lossless encoder, after decoding you wil get the original back, bit by bit, you can also use de decoder/encoder to pack digital exact code like a database or programfile. Its like winzip or RAR. But be aware, you only redyce size with an average of |PLS|- 50%

Greetings

AlonsoN

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2002, 08:45:51 pm »

Right, tags are not standard for .wav's.  If you want to include tag information with a file use a format that supports it. If you insist of doing something non-standard be prepared for non-standard behavure.  

.wav vs. .ape.  Look, lossless = no loss of data = you can't hear a difference because there is no difference.  .ape = .wav = cd.  Only .ape is better because 1. they are smaller, 2. they support tags as part of the standard, 3. if the file becomes corrupted for any reason the CRC check will fail, thus letting you know that you have a problem.  With .wav there is no check, so it could degrade w/o you knowing.

Also with re. turning autoplay off: If you do a bit of reasearch you will notice that each and every review, article, discussion, etc. of drives where the folks have any degree of technical knowledge will begin by saying something like "We installed the drive and of course went to system/blah blah blah and made sure that UDMA was enabled and that autoplay was off."  You will also note that each and every FAQ, trouble shooter and help document for any piece of software that is remotely connected to CD/DVD/-R will say the same thing.  Why? Because it causes problems.  Why? Because MS products are sometimes funky and this is one of those funky things.  See above for expected consequences of non-standard behavure.  

All this is not to say that there are not things that MJ needs to address, but these are two instances where you really need to help them help you.

khaos10

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2002, 08:46:59 pm »

OK, I was going to try APE, but when it said it wasn't installed and then tried to install it, I got that darn Invalid Package File error again.

Chris Fox

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2002, 11:47:35 am »

khaos100,

Are you still seeing the freeze-ups on your CD-RW?  I seem to be in a similar situation, but have managed to get rid of them.  Here is a bit of history:

Using Win2000 with a DVD-ROM drive to rip/encode.  Everything working relatively well.  Add a Lite-On 40x/12x/48x CD-RW drive.  Machine locks up for around 1 minute just before connecting to CDDB.  Still able to rip/encode but, as you point out, it is annoying.

Changed from PIO to DMA on the CD-RW and disabled autoplay.  Ripping/encoding sped up but I was still getting lockups.

When I first installed the drive, MJ asked if I wanted to download the ASPI drivers.  Initially, I said "no" since I wasn't sure what it did.  Later I decided to give it a try but the system froze up while downloading.  I thought it was a permanent lockup, so I rebooted to returned to saying "no".  After the DMA and autoplay did not work.  I went back and had it download the ASPI drivers.  This time I waited long enough for the freeze-up to end and the download was fine.

I then went into Settings->Options->Device Settings->Audio CD Copy and changed the type from "IDE" to "ASPI" and voila! It all the freeze-ups went away!

Hopefully, this will help you too...

Chris

zevele1

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2002, 12:31:57 pm »

Netscape 6 is a BAD beta,as 7.And a Netscape head tells youit

For the time you want to set Media Jukebox ,with plugings put IE as your default browser

Maybe does not sound nice to you ,but it is not worse than THE BIG S_H_I_T that is Netscape since 6

If you want ,i can give you a long list of problems with Netscape,NONE OF THEM because of the software

This will not solve your other problem but you will get the plug-ing

Listening to: 'Milkshake Girl' from 'Center Of The Universe' by 'Giant Sand' on Media Jukebox

zevele1

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2002, 12:42:33 pm »

Matt

I have the same problem with my cdr and cdrw,since MJ7

My cdrw has the first letter' F' and my cdr-dvd the letter 'G '.No matter what i do ,this is like it,in this order

In MJ the drive set by default is F,i cannot set it to G.If i do it from settings,when i want to rip,if i have a look it is drive F set

It was like it whith my old cdr,the same with cdr-dvd, and the same with MJ7

If of any help ,i cannot play a cd in my cdr-dvd' G 'with FreeAmp.FreeAmp see only the first letter drive' F'

Listening to: 'Paper thin line (demo)' from 'Left For Dead volume one' by 'Sand Rubies' on Media Jukebox

yughi

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2002, 02:12:53 pm »

Try OGG to...vorbis made a great Encoder and the sound quality is superb for the filesize!
I'm thrilled that the first OGG-players are out...yes..MP3 players that support OGG files.

khaos10

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2002, 04:51:59 pm »

I'm using APE now. I had to download and install from my HD. Everything is good.

I am using IE. What are you talking about with Netscape? Did I miss something about that being used? It ain't me using it.

I do notice it is only because of CDDB and my Lite-On. If I delete a ripped CD from my HD and rip it again, there is no pause because the CDDB data is already there. If I try ripping a new CD, freeze forever and then finally the CDDB kicks in and I can rip.

I'll try installing the ASPI drivers and see if that will help.

peleton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2002, 10:01:08 pm »

yughi:

>I'm thrilled that the first OGG-players are out...yes..MP3 players that support OGG files.

What players?
do you mean portables? (I hope so, -I have been waiting for one to appear.)
if so, which ones support Ogg?

to everyone else:
      sorry for going OT.

p.

Scronch

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2002, 11:53:39 pm »

>I am using IE.

Resistance is futile.  You will be assimilated.
Pages: [1]   Go Up