INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Favorites (NOT Web Media)  (Read 974 times)

chaznet

• World Citizen
Feature Request: Favorites (NOT Web Media)
« on: June 15, 2002, 09:56:22 am »

A request for a future release: a way to save favorite stations without using the web media option.  While everyone's favorites becoming part of a "collective" sounds like a nifty idea, the ones I've saved as my own have disappeared one to many times.  I find I no longer use MJ8 for playing internet radio stations as I've given up on repeatedly re-adding the few stations I listen to.
WinAmp is much more user-oriented for this; you can create favorites, back them up, restore them if need be.  With all that MJ8 does, it's odd this feature would be missing...

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
RE:Feature Request: Favorites (NOT Web Media)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2002, 07:14:28 pm »

It's all HTML based, so we use a cookie to save your favorites.  So, just make sure you don't erase that cookie...

If enough people dislike that, we'll address it in the next version.

Thanks.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

shelly

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2002, 08:08:54 pm »

I agree with chaznet.  I'd like to quickly add stations for my personal use without completing all the required fields necessary to submit the request.  

Listening to: 'Tientos del Mentidero' from 'El Duende Flamenco de Paco de Lucia [US]' by 'Paco de Lucia' on Media Jukebox

Shelly

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2002, 08:14:07 pm »

The idea was that users would be helping users that way.  What do other people think?

AlonsoN

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2002, 08:59:10 pm »

Love the concept, hate cookies.

My feeling is that cookies are fine for their intended function of saving session information.  Because so many folks are using them for nefarious purposes I use a tool to keep them that way.  And frankly any person with half a concern for privacy would do the same too if they had a clue.  

So please, for any information to be stored between sessions, please use another method.

chaznet

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2002, 09:14:08 pm »

At one point, I found the cookie and added it to the 'don't delete' list in both Ad/Subtract and WindowWasher -- but eventually the cookie always flies south -- to many steps to get it back.  The master-list-user-helping-user is a great resource for finding stations you might otherwise never run into -- but ideally a user's favorites would be stored another way, not part of the 'collective' feature.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2002, 09:21:37 pm »

Thanks everyone.  Keep the ideas flowing for the next version...

For now, to do what you want in MJ 8.0, you can start a station playing with File -> Open Streaming File... and then add it to a playlist.  That way, you'll have a playlist of your favorite stations, independent of the "Web Radio" feature.

Take care.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.

chaznet

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2002, 11:48:18 am »

The playlist option accomplished what I wanted -- didn't realize that was possible -- thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up