INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Authentication frustrations  (Read 1588 times)

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Authentication frustrations
« on: November 21, 2010, 10:08:55 am »

Hi all!

I'm wondering if it's possible to control the need for authentication when using the various media servers in a more fine-grained way? What I'm discovering is that in order for Library Clients (eg. MC on laptops) to successfully sync with a Library Server (eg. MC running on an HTPC), authentication needs to be turned on.

However, that means whenever I access WebRemote from my iPhone, I'm asked for my authentication credentials--which has quickly gotten tedious.

I know there was some talk at one point about creating a user/group/permission/ACL system, and although that would be great, I also know that a system like that would be a ways down the road.

In the meantime, is there a simple way to have the various MC clients & servers remember logins and passwords?

I'm also open to suggestions as to how to make the current process simpler...

Thanks!
brad

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Authentication frustrations
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 11:40:01 am »

However, that means whenever I access WebRemote from my iPhone, I'm asked for my authentication credentials--which has quickly gotten tedious.

I would expect the iPhone to remember the credentials.  I know my Android does.

Is it possible you're changing the server's password or clearing the iPhone's cache or something?

In the meantime, is there a simple way to have the various MC clients & servers remember logins and passwords?

Media Center clients should remember passwords (there's a checkbox on the password dialog).  Are you saying this is not working?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 11:04:10 pm »

I would expect the iPhone to remember the credentials.  I know my Android does.

Is it possible you're changing the server's password or clearing the iPhone's cache or something?

It looks like it's more subtle than that. I had created a 'Web Remote' shortcut on my iPhone's home screen (Safari.app -> Add to Home Screen). When I use the button from the home screen to directly connect to Web Remote, I am always asked for my credentials. If I access Web Remote from Safari via a bookmark or URL, the authentication is cached as expected.

Seems like odd behavior, but I'm not sure who's court the ball lands in. I don't know what happens behind the scenes when you add a web page to your home screen. It actually appears that different web pages behave in different ways. I have the same kind of shortcut set up for my gmail account, and that shortcut always opens within the Safari app. The Web Remote shortcut behaves like a stand-alone app (it shows up in the app switcher as its own entry).

Is there a way to control what happens when creating the shortcut on the home screen?

brad

(ObOtherObservation: My 'full' MC clients do remember their authentication just fine) :)

ChrisRainman

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 05:17:48 am »

I'm facing the same frustrations with my ipad.
Wouldn't it be possible to allow sending authentication data within the web link itself?
Pages: [1]   Go Up