INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with Output Sample Rate Settings  (Read 2046 times)

jsjanx

• Recent member
Help with Output Sample Rate Settings
« on: November 30, 2010, 03:40:56 pm »

Could someone please provide some guidance regarding output sample rate settings?  I did a quick search through the forum and couldn't find this articulated in detail.  Perhaps I looked in the wrong place.

I have ripped my entire CD collection with MC15, with sample rates varying from 44.1khz to 176khz (HR-x files) and just purchased the Audio Research DAC-8 which has a USB input.  I loaded the software and have successfully connected it and been able to play music from my computer through the DAC to my Stereo, but am having some problems with output settings.  Specifically, how do I set the Output Mode, Output Mode Settings & DSP & Output Settings to recognize the various sample rates recorded and automatically output from the computer to the DAC at the correct sampling rate??? 

My DAC will display the incoming sample rate, so I have been able to see, for example, that when I changed the Output Mode to ASIO and then the sample rate in DSP & Output Settings to 176khz, the incoming sample rate changed.  I'm not really sure what ASIO does versus Direct Source, Kernal or anything else.  When I switched from a 176khz CD to a 44.1khz CD without changing settings, the incoming sample rate still registered at 176khz...I don't know if that's good or bad for a 44.1khz CD...What I'm interested in is the most perfect reproduction (already ripped perfectly with MC15) and playback (correct output settings) to automatically input the correct sample rate.
If I have to change settings manually every time I play something other than a 44.1khz CD in order to have the best playback, I would prefer to do that rather than choosing settings that will play, but suboptimize the resulting sound.

Thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Help with Output Sample Rate Settings
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 04:29:50 pm »

I believe you can set the output settings to always play to the highest sample rate your DAC can accept, and tell MC to convert everything to that sample rate in DSP Studio/Output Settings.  There is nothing lost in upconverting.

Use ASIO or WASAPI.  Here's more:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes
Pages: [1]   Go Up