INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help A Newbie: Which Should I Buy: MJ7.2 or MJ 8?  (Read 996 times)

ciggieoxo

Help A Newbie: Which Should I Buy: MJ7.2 or MJ 8?
« on: June 15, 2002, 02:00:28 am »

I have used the MJ 7.2 30-day free trial version and now it's time to buy. Using the MJ 7.2 trial version I ripped and burned 280 music files to make a 10 hour "best of" CD to play on my CD MP3 Player. So . . . do I pay for and download 7.2 which is stable and I know how to use or do I pay for and download MJ 8.x?

If I buy and download MJ v7.2 (just to be safe) will that version count against me in getting v8 or other future upgrades?

If I buy MJ v8, will it handle my 300  mp3 library which was created using 7.2 to encode? Do I uninstall v7.2 before installing v8?

Thank you~!
God's peace, Tom

shdbcamping

RE:Help A Newbie: Which Should I Buy: MJ7.2 or MJ 8?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2002, 03:27:49 am »

I used version 7.2 previously (Plus version) and changed over to the new version 8. It has given me no problems. in fact, i personally prefer it to ver 7. has a nice function to make all your songs play at a similar volume level for the jukebox (i play mine through my home stereo).

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2002, 03:54:42 am »

ciggieoxo

why don't you download MJ8 And Try It.

Besides MJ 7.2.280 has been removed from the server.

>> do I pay for and download 7.2 which is stable
MJ8 Is Stable

>If I buy MJ v8, will it handle my 300 mp3 library which was created using 7.2 to encode?
Yes

> Do I uninstall v7.2 before installing v8?
You Can Install Over 7.2
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

mtmueller

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2002, 04:07:03 am »

I have pretty much given up on MJ8. Performance on my system is extremely poor, and I have a relatively high-end system (1GHz, 512MB RAM, 40x CDROM/DVD, SBLive 5.1 Platinum, drivers updated routinely...)

Granted, I am running WinME, but I have only had issues with very few programs, MJ8 being one.

The MP3 encoder in MJ8 will rip about half a disc before it hangs the system. None of the "fixes" improve performance, and Tech Support told me to turn off my CD Digital in. Why? Works great with everything else. Killing Digital in will reduce performance further, and reduce quality of tunes.

Creative PlayCenter will rip at same bitrate with equivalent quality sound in less than half the time.

It's a shame. I really liked the earlier versions of MJ, and the features of MJ8 are awesome. I just cannot justify spending days of effort to adjust and tweak my system for a piece of entertainment software, when I already have others that work fine as-is.

If you are going to go with MJ, I recommend the earlier versions, depending upon your OS.
Mark

claudio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2002, 05:39:49 am »

MJ8 absolutely! I've had no problem just as the majority of the users I see here in the forum. If you are one of the unlucky with a conflict on their system, it's up to you. Most of the one that I've seen troubleshooting poblems here in he forum have eventually found a solution. Some give up and then get bitter... and I understand them! Giving up MJ8 is not easy to take

Try it and you will not regret it

Claudio

zigabyte

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2002, 11:22:29 am »

I suggest you try it out before you pay. Keep your MJ7 installer so you can reinstall it (you *do* keep them around after you download them, don't you?

There are a lot of very nice features in MJ8, no doubt about that. There are some problems too, perhaps system specific. And, as a UI nitpicker, there are some things I actually don't like. But overall it is quite nice, and has more features than anything else that I've seen out there.

It imported my 6000 track MJ7 library with no problems (although I don't use MJ for encoding, as you are wondering about). The installer automatically uninstalled MJ7 for me, which was nice. The library organization features are much improved. I hate skins, and the default one was terrible, so I immediately disabled skinning, which was a relief.

I really only used MJ7 as a good tag editor, though. MJ8 has addressed some of the issues I had with 7, so perhaps I'll use it more often.
Pages: [1]   Go Up