INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some MKV's do not play via DLNA to WD TV Live Plus  (Read 4600 times)

horse

• World Citizen
Some MKV's do not play via DLNA to WD TV Live Plus
« on: November 29, 2010, 12:23:29 am »

Been playing with a WD TV Live Plus over Thanksgiving and with MC15 as the DLNA server I have noticed a weird problem with some mkv's not playing.
My library contains TV shows, DVD and Blu Ray rips. It does not seem to be a bitrate issue as I can play HD mkv's just fine.
Looking more closely it seems only my later additions to the MC library have the issue. The difference being these mkv's have tags with bitrate, compression and format values that are read only. I can't remember exactly but I think around the end of October I upgraded from 15.0.128 to 15.0.142 and that is when these tags started to have values. Have upgraded to 15.0.159 tonight and no change.

Turn off DLNA and have it be just a UPnP server and it works as I guess no information regarding compression etc. is sent to the WDTV.

This all seems similar to the OPPO issue at http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59752.0

Is there anyway to control what is sent in the DLNA messages that is obtained from the tags as mkv's in the library that have no value for these tags, work just fine.

I'm trying to avoid having another DLNA server defined as up to know I've managed to have everything work with just one and this simplifies the "Play to" using Web Remote and sending it to a DLNA Media Renderer

Thanks

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Some MKV's do not play via DLNA to WD TV Live Plus
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 02:47:25 pm »

Been playing with a WD TV Live Plus over Thanksgiving and with MC15 as the DLNA server I have noticed a weird problem with some mkv's not playing.
My library contains TV shows, DVD and Blu Ray rips. It does not seem to be a bitrate issue as I can play HD mkv's just fine.
Looking more closely it seems only my later additions to the MC library have the issue. The difference being these mkv's have tags with bitrate, compression and format values that are read only. I can't remember exactly but I think around the end of October I upgraded from 15.0.128 to 15.0.142 and that is when these tags started to have values. Have upgraded to 15.0.159 tonight and no change.

Turn off DLNA and have it be just a UPnP server and it works as I guess no information regarding compression etc. is sent to the WDTV.
Yes, that's the case, no DLNA flags are sent when it uPnP.

This all seems similar to the OPPO issue at http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=59752.0

Is there anyway to control what is sent in the DLNA messages that is obtained from the tags as mkv's in the library that have no value for these tags, work just fine.

I'm trying to avoid having another DLNA server defined as up to know I've managed to have everything work with just one and this simplifies the "Play to" using Web Remote and sending it to a DLNA Media Renderer

Thanks
Can you post the contents of the compression field for something that doesn't play on your WD and I'll check it with ours?

Thanks...

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 12:03:50 am »

Thanks Bob for looking into this.

The compression tag shows up as "mkv video (video:AVC1, audio: AC3)" and is a 720 x 464 @3352Kbps and Audio @ 48KHz.

What is weird tonight is I have MC15 running on the server (the DLNA server machine) and a "working" movie with a blank Compression tag, yet my workstation with the same version of MC15 and using the same library Read Only is seeing that working movie with a compression tag value.
Where is this tag stored and why is it different on two machines that access the same library. Server has the library local, workstation is via a CIFS share.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 09:46:38 am »

Thanks Bob for looking into this.

The compression tag shows up as "mkv video (video:AVC1, audio: AC3)" and is a 720 x 464 @3352Kbps and Audio @ 48KHz.
Thanks, I'll try and dig up a file with those characteristics.

What is weird tonight is I have MC15 running on the server (the DLNA server machine) and a "working" movie with a blank Compression tag, yet my workstation with the same version of MC15 and using the same library Read Only is seeing that working movie with a compression tag value.
Where is this tag stored and why is it different on two machines that access the same library. Server has the library local, workstation is via a CIFS share.
If they are actually sharing the same library, that shouldn't be possible. Are you certain that they are using the same library? The only thing we could think of is perhaps the read-only MC is seeing a tag that got later wiped on the read-write one since it tried to play it without having the same codecs? The read-only one wouldn't show the changes until the library was reloaded.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 12:55:54 pm »

The mkv's should play in the next build. On the h264 mkv's the WDTV wants a different mimetype than one derived from the codecs (on mp2 mkv's that's not the case).

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 03:15:07 pm »

that was quick!
Will wait for the next build and give it a try.

Thanks

horse

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 11:05:42 pm »

Bob,

Did some quick testing this evening and the first few mkv's I tried, that used to fail work like a charm.
Big thanks for awesome turnaround on the fix to what is really a WDTV limitation!
Pages: [1]   Go Up