INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Going Mainstream  (Read 906 times)

Scronch

Going Mainstream
« on: June 13, 2002, 11:58:10 pm »

OK, this post is probably going to come out sounding negative, but it's not meant to be.

There seem to be some issues with people upgrading from 7.2 to 8.0.  Most are being told to uninstall 7.2 before installing 8.0.  That is my first point.  All of the truly "mainstream" software I use has almost bulletproof upgrades.  Very seldom does the user have to uninstall the previous version.  I think quite often the upgrade performs the uninstall, but that's OK, and is a sign of a really clean process.

Next, when people are told to uninstall 7.2, they are told stuff like this:

If you're uninstalling MJ7, you might as well do it properly.
After backing up your library, do the uninstall through control panel, delete the JRiver directories from C:\Program Files or wherever you put them, then clean the registry deleting the "JRiver" Keys in both places.

Both places =
HKey_Current_User/Software/JRiver
and
Hkey_Local_Machine/Software/JRiver

So, apparently the 7.2 uninstall procedure leaves things on the system that shouldn't be there, or at the very least can mess with 8.0.  I'm not a Windows registry expert, but that just shouldn't be.

My point here is that you'll never capture the largest audience--those who are o/s illiterate--if a simple upgrade requires a manual uninstall, which requires manual registry editing.

I am quite computer literate (programming since 1974 and spent 10 years at IBM), and have been an avid fan of MJ for a fairly long time now, and even then, I have trouble finding the "upgrade" procedure on the website.  I've only found it (meaning with the registry edit and all) here on Interact.

Maybe these upgrade problems are very rare glitches, affecting virtually no one.  But it doesn't appear that way.  I hate to say it, but maybe we should live without a few of our wish list items, so that more resource could be applied to maintain bulletproof upgrade processes.

Yup, sounded negative.  Oh well, it's not meant that way.

Scronch

zevele1

RE:Going Mainstream
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2002, 12:08:16 am »

NO it is not negative

And you are rigth to have 'to clean' the registery is a no go for average,regular people using  a computer

The more mainstream you go,the more very easy to run you need to be
The more mainstream you go,the more people will ask for mp3pro pluging

As i said to Scronch once about rock bands:you are trying to move from playing in clubs to playing in stadium.The crowd is not the same

Scronch

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2002, 12:13:40 am »

Great analogy.

Zev, here's wishing you a day free of loud noises, in all sincerity (except for the crash of that Nesmith album hitting your ceramic tile).  Time for me to get some sleep.

Scronch

zevele1

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2002, 12:17:01 am »

Thank you very much
Have a good nigth and enjoy the coming week-end

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2002, 12:31:58 am »

Scronch is right. One of the very few issues with MJ.

BTW, someone named Problematic slammed MJ in a CNET review yesterday. Cited a number of bug reports and problems from the forum dialogue without indicating that (1) most of them were resolved very quickly; and (2) these were field reports from the 8x beta test. Most misleading. Probably a back-handed puff piece for MM ("Stick with mainstream products like musicmatch, window media player, and Winamp. ").

I tried to rebuff it but got bounced because I'd already rated MJ. Someone else who hasn't rated yet should take a shot at it.

HTH

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2002, 06:03:57 am »

Absolutely agreed.

However, the installer _should_ do everything that's required.  We only tell people to uninstall and reinstall when things don't work and we don't know why.  It's sort of a cop-out, but rebooting and reinstalling never hurts...

And we'll fix any reproducable bugs in the installer as fast as possible, but I think most of the problems people are having aren't probably a result of the installer...

Thanks everyone.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up