INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Favour to ask Matt  (Read 1541 times)

nila

Favour to ask Matt
« on: June 13, 2002, 05:16:09 pm »

Hiya matt,
I know your one of the programmers and your the one who seems to read these posts the most or at least you react the most out of the programmers so I have a favour.
I dont think it'd be very hard to implement but I could be totally wrong.

I mentioned it before during the beta testing but it was near the phase where u were trying to get a RC so it couldn't be done.
I'm hoping that now you have a stable release out maybe it could be added.

It's when I edit the file properties of a song and then click save.
The song goes back to the beginning and starts playing again.
The main reason I'm editing songs these days is to add ratings to them and I'm usually listening to the song in the background as I'm working so I'm not focusing on it tooo much. If it sounds good though I go in and give it a rating. The problem is that I'm usually half way into the song by the time I decide what I think of it and when I then save the rating it starts it again which is really annoying.

I have a LOT of songs and need to rate them all so this is gonna keep bugging me for ages until they're all finally rated.

I was wondering if you could set it so that saving the data didn't restart the song.
Originally I thought of two ways you could do this:
 1. Store the new info to write to the song and write it when the song finished playing (would mean more work)
 2. Simply memories the spot the song is at before you stop it, write the data, jump back to the same spot again and resume playing (I'd imagine could just be slipped easily into the code section that takes care of stopping the song and replaying it without too many problems).

a third way I just thought of that'd probably work the best but is more work and so maybe for your next big release would be when the properties box is opened, started buffering the song into memory for like 5 seconds ahead of the play time. Then stop reading the file when it's time to save the properties but continue playing it from the buffer in memory, write the id3 data then just resume playing from the disk when the buffer emptied. This would give totally smooth playback I'd imagine and the user wouldn't hear any stop or anything.

Do you think it'd be possible to add something like this? Probably idea 2 I'm guessing as it'd be the easiest one to just slip in without making any major code changes. I'd REALLY REALLY really appreciate it alot if you could as it would make it soo much easier and nice for me when rating my songs.

Thanks

Nila

Callithumpian

• Galactic Citizen
  • Subvert the Dominant Paradigm
RE:Favour to ask Matt
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2002, 05:52:35 pm »

I'm right behind this!
I often postpone (and then forget) to edit tags of tracks when I am listening.  The reason I postpone is exactly because of a reluctance to have the song start again.

It would be another feather in the MJ cap, so to speak, if it could hot-edit tags, by whatever method.

It's been so long since I even looked another Jukebox, I'd have to check, but certainly last time I looked none of the others could do this.  Maybe that cos it's real hard. Dunno.

I know the King has many times suggested the same thing, but I never saw him receive any response.

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2002, 08:47:14 pm »

I would love this too.

Marra

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2002, 09:20:00 pm »

I would love this too! (very original response).

Scronch

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2002, 10:19:19 pm »

This was added to the Wish List on 2/27/02.

A couple of other Wish List items that I'd like to refresh in JRiver's minds are Clubbing (12/11/01) and Playlist Scheduling (12/10/01).

Scronch

Ilmar

• World Citizen
  • JOATYou mean besides music?
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2002, 11:01:30 pm »

I have had the same problem...

I tend to rate (or forget to) whole albums rather than individual tracks, but same comment applies.

But isn't the rating an MJ database item, not an ID tag, so this wouldn't be soo difficult?

If this can be implemented, perhaps for V9 this could be taken a step further with an optional panel above the player controls, showing the five rating options, with the current setting highlighted, and you could just click on the star rating for the track as it plays.

Also it would be cool to have the star rating included in the trackinfo SDK!

Great thinking Nila!
Ilmar

"We make a living by what we get,
But we make a life by what we give"
     Sir WInston Churchill

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2002, 06:08:19 am »

Right now, the plugin tells Media Jukebox if it can safely play and tag at the same time.  OGG, APE, and MPC can.  MP3 can't because of the ID3v2 tag at the front of the file. (it actually seems to work other than a little skip in playback, but it gives us an uneasy feeling to rewrite the file while we're reading)

However, we'll surely address this in the next version of MJ.  Like I often say, if it doesn't just get done, remind us and we'll make sure we do something for it.

Thanks everyone.

-Matt
JRiver, Inc.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

nila

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2002, 09:22:12 am »

What about my idea of possibly buffering the song into memory, stopping reading the file and playing from memory while writing the data, then reading the file again once the writing is finished?
Possible in practise or just in theory?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2002, 10:12:29 am »

it is easy to take the playing song, when a change in a tag is made to take the Position Of The Position Bar Put That Position In A Varable, Sop Play Back, Do The Change Of Tag, And Play, Move The Position Of The Position Bar To The Position Before The Stop To Update.

I Have Done It In VB (Not Visual C) Seems Easy To Me.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2002, 11:50:07 am »

Like I said, this problem will be gone in the next version.  The database core has improved a lot.  More details later...

-Matt
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

guru

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2002, 12:30:39 pm »

>it is easy to take the playing song, when a change in a tag is made to take the Position Of The Position Bar Put That Position In A Varable, Sop Play Back, Do The Change Of Tag, And Play, Move The Position Of The Position Bar To The Position Before The Stop To Update.

Better idea is to 'mirror/buffer' the properties/tag data update process.
That is, keep playing the song, BUT queue the updated information for applying to disk when the song is no longer being played, or worst case upon exit of program.

JNKH

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2002, 02:27:50 am »

Hi Matt,

Rating is very important- especially for using Smart Search.  Tagging during playback is very important.  Hopefully we can even customize our toolbar to have a button JUST for tagging rating.

I have several problems here, as I'm trying to switch from Music Match.

a) Music Match offers rating easily, and it does not restart the song while you save.  They have done it very successfully.  Probably they do use a proprietary area for tagging the rating.  They call it preference.  I also notice that when I import my MP3 songs from Music Match, they appear as COMMENTS in MJ.

b) To solve rating problem, I suggest:

i) Follow how MM does it because it really works.
ii) Have a tool to copy from the COMMENT area to the RATING field if this field follows the MP3 File tagging standard.  This would make your software compatible with other popular jukebox, and also follow the standard.  It is also another workaround the problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up