INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ffmpeg and Stuttering Recorded TV Files  (Read 2157 times)

NickF

• Citizen of the Universe
ffmpeg and Stuttering Recorded TV Files
« on: January 24, 2011, 09:06:49 am »

I am raising this issue in a new topic as I am now sure that this is unrelated to Sony TVs or DLNA.

I am now convinced that this stuttering problem is nothing to do with streaming or DLNA settings.  It appears to be a fundamental problem with ffmpeg or, potentially, an incompatibility between Windows Media Center .dvr-ms files and ffmpeg.  It may or may not also be related to 50Hz PAL land.  The problem also occurs with downloaded .avi files.

Just to be clear, the stuttering is a jumpiness in the video at about 5 jumps per second.  The resulting video is unwatchable.

I have been using the ffmpeg version supplied with MC in a command line situation, converting .dvr-ms files to MPEG2 .mpg files.  I have experimented with many of the ffmpeg switches and parameters and nothing has resolved the stutter.

I remembered that I had DVRMSToolbox installed on one of my PCs.  This uses ffmpeg.  I used it to convert the files and the result was a huge improvement.  The stutter was completely gone.  There was still some noise in the picture, especially around high contrast areas but that is a separate issue.  This DVRMSToolbox ffmpeg version is dated 07/08/2007.

I have downloaded several other versions of ffmpeg but none works as well as this 2007 one.

I hope this will help you find a resolution for this problem.  I am very frustrated as one of my main reasons for going for MC was to get a well thought out DLNA solution.  I am surprised that nobody else in PAL Land has reported this issue.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: ffmpeg and Stuttering Recorded TV Files
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 12:37:21 pm »

I am raising this issue in a new topic as I am now sure that this is unrelated to Sony TVs or DLNA.

I am now convinced that this stuttering problem is nothing to do with streaming or DLNA settings.  It appears to be a fundamental problem with ffmpeg or, potentially, an incompatibility between Windows Media Center .dvr-ms files and ffmpeg.  It may or may not also be related to 50Hz PAL land.  The problem also occurs with downloaded .avi files.

Just to be clear, the stuttering is a jumpiness in the video at about 5 jumps per second.  The resulting video is unwatchable.

I have been using the ffmpeg version supplied with MC in a command line situation, converting .dvr-ms files to MPEG2 .mpg files.  I have experimented with many of the ffmpeg switches and parameters and nothing has resolved the stutter.

I remembered that I had DVRMSToolbox installed on one of my PCs.  This uses ffmpeg.  I used it to convert the files and the result was a huge improvement.  The stutter was completely gone.  There was still some noise in the picture, especially around high contrast areas but that is a separate issue.  This DVRMSToolbox ffmpeg version is dated 07/08/2007.

I have downloaded several other versions of ffmpeg but none works as well as this 2007 one.

I hope this will help you find a resolution for this problem.  I am very frustrated as one of my main reasons for going for MC was to get a well thought out DLNA solution.  I am surprised that nobody else in PAL Land has reported this issue.

Nick.
Can you test using the same parameters for the 2007 ffmpeg that you do for the current version? If it works with the same parameters, you could just drop the 2007 one in the place of the one MC is using. It would be interesting to know what you find...
Pages: [1]   Go Up