INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music Playback Filter...Request  (Read 993 times)

roognation

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Resistance is /dev/null
Music Playback Filter...Request
« on: January 14, 2011, 11:29:16 am »

OK, so I finally upgraded to MC15.  It has been a while, but I am going to again request a feature reinstatement.  This feature was present long ago in MC9 and maybe MC10...and I think it started even in MJ...Anyways, I aired it out a few years ago without any satisfaction.  See here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=29449

So, this Playback Filter was a great feature for skipping things like really bad tracks, or test-tones, or even entire genres.  This feature was a great one.  I still miss it, and wonder if there is a way to get this back in to MC15?

Yeah, we have all heard the smartlist preaching, but it does not allow me the ease or flexibility as the Playback Filter once did.

If someone has a workaround, then maybe they could post the procedure/steps here; as I said, I have been out of the loop for a long time and hope I am not repeating anything.

Thx for reading,
Mike
==
roognation
human electrode

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Music Playback Filter...Request
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 11:03:30 pm »

For "really bad tracks," I like Matt's recent suggestion of rating them with one star and then filtering these out using Access Control. That makes it very easy to add items to the "filter." I can, for example, set a one-star rating with my remote and—poof—it's gone. Such items are no longer visible, but I generally don't care to see tracks I don't want to listen to. If I need to see them, I simply turn off Access Control.

For entire genres or classifications of tracks, I'm having difficulty seeing the point of the feature. There are other more appropriate ways to deal with such things. I put all my "Christmas" music in a separate genre. If I don't want to hear it, I don't select that genre or otherwise allow it to be included in what is being played. If I had test tones in my library, they too would be in a separate genre, although they would probably also be excluded from my main view and included in a separate view. No matter what it is, I have the ability to exclude or include it what is to be played. I understand a "playback filter" could prevent a test tone from being played, but then how do you play a test tone?
Pages: [1]   Go Up