INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OT - Going to Southern France - Advice welcomed  (Read 1298 times)

Gatobrit

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
OT - Going to Southern France - Advice welcomed
« on: June 13, 2002, 08:05:06 am »

Hi - at beginning of September my wife and I are visiting Provence and Cotes D'Azure for a couple of weeks. It's our first visit to southern France. We're going to be based in Rustrel (near Aix) the first week and then Cap Ferrat (near Nice) the second week. We have hotels and flights arranged already.

We're both reasonably well traveled, adventurous and not really in to lounging around the pool a lot, although we'll do that a little. We would like to experience the "flavor" of the area and people. Any advice, must do's, must don'ts, see's etc would be welcomed.
Namaste,
John

PeterS

RE:OT - Going to Southern France - Advice welcomed
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2002, 08:41:39 am »

John,
It's been a while since I've been there, but you might want to take a day trip to Monaco from Nice (about 18Km). The view is worth the visit in my opinion.

Peter

JohnT

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2002, 08:49:58 am »

I envy you, you're going to have a great time. A few places I remember..

Aix en Provence itself is a great city for walking around, stopping at cafes, people watching, etc.

The Luberon range, which is not too long a drive north from Aix if I remember right. There are some very picturesque cities perched on the hillsides, with the older town in ruins high up on the ridge, and the newer towns down below. You can usually hike up to the ruins. Some of the town names (if memory serves): Bonnieux, Menerbes, Oppede le Vieux, and La Coste (famous for the ruined chateau of the Marquis De Sade).

Pont du Gard, an old roman aqueduct spanning a beautiful canyon. It's probably quite a ways west of Aix though and you can't walk over it anymore like you used to be able to do. The engineering of this edifice is amazing for the time period it was built in. I remember having a traditional picnic here with wine, cheese and a baguette.

You're going at a good time too, the crowds should be thinner and the vineyards may be beginning to change to autumn colors.

If you can rent a bike, the whole area is great for biking - hilly, but the views and charming old towns are worth it.

Have fun and tell us about it!

- John T.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

Bruce

• Recent member
  • xxconsultantmusic
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2002, 06:46:54 am »

We've been to the South several times.  For me, the best part is eating!  Especially salads.  The french have a different idea about what a salad should REALLY be, and I love them!

One thing that would be neat (i've never had time) would be to spend a day, maybe two at one of the many cooking schools in the area.  Just search on "cooking schools provence" and you'll find lots.
Bruce

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2002, 07:18:14 am »

Hi,

Well,well, I don't have much time now ( I'm about to leave work ) but I will
think about it and try and give some advice latter, Stay tuned.
If you want to be typical, from Aix, you shall check Manosque and Apt (sugar fruits town, fruits confits in french), Gordes is also a sweet little place,
you should also go to Camargue, especialy Arles, Ste Marie de la mer.
From St Jean Cap Ferrat, many possibilities
Anyway september is a very nice time for the south of france.
Gastronomicaly you should not miss the 'Bouillabaisse' (gorgeous fish soup) !

later.

Christian
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

cjdshaw

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2002, 04:26:34 pm »

Just up the road from Cap Ferrat is Villefranche. Lovely town, and the little chapel on the front was decorated by Jean Cocteau. On the other side of Nice is Hauts-des-Cagnes. The village square is right at the top of th hill and has great views. Also, the old town of Antibes has some great restaurants. Makes sure you try the moules mariniere and the steak roquefort.

Sudadon

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2002, 05:42:13 pm »

Provence is one of my favorite places on earth and I go there almost every year.  AS a matter of fact, I'm leaving in several days.  Being a resort-phobia, my favorite is the area around Mt. Ventoux in Drome Provence--villages like Sault and Ferrasiere with gorgeous lavender fields.  Not much of it will be left by the time you get there though.

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2002, 06:01:28 am »

Thanks for all the information folks!
Namaste,
John

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2002, 08:32:07 am »

Hi again,

To help you plan your trip to provence here are some links (english versions available):

Around Aix en Provence : http://www.aixenprovencetourism.com/
Good site to discover Provence :  http://www.provenceweb.fr/
with infos about every towns and nice places in Provence.
Excellent site to discover places beyond the crowded riviera: http://www.beyond.fr/

If you really want to get typical and if you like trains you will love
"Le train de pignes" going from Nice to Dignes Les bains. A very nice way
to discover small villages and places in the mountains you can't reach
by car or bike.
http://www.beyond.fr/sites/pignes.html

You can also check Antibes, Juan Les Pins (20 km from Nice)
There's a good typical Provencal Restaurant there:
Restaurant Le Safranier, in a typical provencal setup, Antibes.

Have fun !
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)
Pages: [1]   Go Up