INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC12 to MC 15, some questions  (Read 966 times)

RorK

• Recent member
MC12 to MC 15, some questions
« on: January 03, 2011, 07:53:07 am »

Hi all,

It's been a while since I visited the forum, but after some searching regarding MC15 I still have some questions as I couldn't find definitive answers. Sorry if this is to be found somewhere on the forum...

- Will my iPod Classic 80Gb (still) work with MC15?
- Is there a proper list of compatible MP3 layers with MC15?
- Is there finally a way to run the entire MC database and accompanying userfiles from a server folder instead of a local folder. This so that I can run MC from my laptop -or- workstation without DB issues.
- Or is the portable install doing this now?
- Can I update my MC12 DB to MC15 without issues, or do I have to go through a previous version of MC first?
- Can the user prefs be saved now to a file, so reinstalling MC is less cumbersome?

Thanks for the answers, or links to the answers ;-)

rob

RorK

• Recent member
Re: MC12 to MC 15, some questions
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 02:24:17 am »

Hi all,

I spend some time last night on the forum and wiki, and figured out the last two questions regarding the db and user settings. As I'm still running MC12 it might be handy to go through MC14 first to get all the userprefs in the db backup.
I'll see if I want to install one extra MC on my laptop ;)

I also found some notes regarding the portable install, but I'm still not sure if this will help me with a 'centralized' db and usersettings option.

So the question about the iPod Classic 80Gb and list of compatible mp3 players still stands.
Also the server based db question is one I like to see answered.

Thanks.

rob

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 03:55:42 am »

Will my iPod Classic 80Gb (still) work with MC15?
- Yes

Is there a proper list of compatible MP3 layers with MC15?
- Not that I've seen. You can assume that most players work fine though. Except for Apple products past iPhone 3G and some of the newer iPods.

Is there finally a way to run the entire MC database and accompanying userfiles from a server folder instead of a local folder. This so that I can run MC from my laptop -or- workstation without DB issues.
- Yes. The Server functions have been much improved over the last versions. There is now synchronizing, better video playback and so on. There is little point in not using the server any more. Different views and maintenance of those views might be some work still, but if you keep things rather static.... No problems with the server functionality I think.

Or is the portable install doing this now?
- Portable install works fine. They can connect to a server or play local files, or files from shares. Up to you.

Can I update my MC12 DB to MC15 without issues, or do I have to go through a previous version of MC first?
- I think you will have a problem getting settings from MC12 to 15. This was something that was added in MC 13 or 14? Not sure. I would copy the settings you have, and start directly on MC15. You can certainly try to take a backup and restore it to version 14 or 15, but I don't think it will help much.

Can the user prefs be saved now to a file, so reinstalling MC is less cumbersome?
- Most of the settings is now possible to be backed up with the normal library backup. So, no more need to go through it all and use hours of time setting it up.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

RorK

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:50:12 am »

Thanks for all the answers, much appreciated.

I will look into the server part and portable part on the wiki to see how far things have progressed.
I also probably will install MC 14 for the transition to MC15.

again, thank you.

rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up