INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Loud white noise  (Read 3860 times)

MrMoto

• Recent member
Loud white noise
« on: January 09, 2011, 01:26:42 pm »

Hi everybody,

I'm experiencing an intermitant problem with MC15: Sometimes when it switches from a song to another, it produces very loud noise instead of music. Sounds a bit like white noise.

That's with "Direct sound". I tried WASAPI to see if it was going to be better but It started playing with a lot of noise mixed up with the music. I checked the "Flush device buffer on startup" option (still with WASAPI) and the noise disapeared. Now I'm wondering if that option is the solution the the problem with the loud noise experienced with "Direct Sound".

I'll try reverting to Direct Sound, with the "Flush device buffer on startup" option selected and see if I can reproduce the problem.

Anywone experience the same thing? Not very pleasant and maybe dangerous for the speakers...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Loud white noise
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 01:32:53 pm »

Make sure you're using the latest build of MC.  15.0.172 is on the download page.

Are you playing to a USB DAC?   Or a receiver?

More details about your hardware might help.

WASAPI is preferred over Direct Sound.
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

What types of files are you playing?  Does the noise occur when filetype or bitrate or bitdepth changes? 

MrMoto

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 02:15:41 pm »

Hi Jim,

I'm using an HRT Streamer+ USB DAC. I'm not sure if it was the case for all the occurances of the problem but the few times I checked I was playing a m4a file ripped from CD. Bitdepth is set at 16-bit and bitrate at 48 khz, resampling for material below 44,1 and above 48 khz.

Other settings:
2 channels stereo;
No mixing;
no overflow handling

I'm letting it play eright now to see if it will occur again with WASAPI

Thanks for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 02:18:18 pm »

I'm using an HRT Streamer+ USB DAC. I'm not sure if it was the case for all the occurances of the problem but the few times I checked I was playing a m4a file ripped from CD. Bitdepth is set at 16-bit and bitrate at 48 khz, resampling for material below 44,1 and above 48 khz.

MC uses two different methods to play M4A files.  One is the Quicktime engine.  The other is DirectShow.  DS is preferred.

The Wiki has an article on "M4P and M4A".

I'm guessing that you're getting noise when the filetype switches.

MrMoto

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 03:47:26 pm »

Update: I am now able to reproduce the problem at will. I play a specific piece (downloaded) and the double click on another (ripped from CD) and I get the noise for about 5 seconds and then it plays ok. It does that either with Direct sound and WASAPI.

If it has to do with the way MC plays m4a files, is there a way to fix it by a setup or something?

Thanks for your help.

Mario

MrMoto

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 03:50:21 pm »

Forgot to mention: In the sequence I use to reproduce the problem, the first file is a mp3 and the socond a m4a. Not sure if it's relevant or not though...

MrMoto

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 04:45:15 pm »

It is now confirmed: Double clicking on a m4a file while a mp3 or flac is playing will cause the problem everytime. Other combinations are ok (from flac to mp3, from mp3 to flac, from m4a to flac, from m4a to mp3). I am using the last build (15.0.172).

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 04:59:54 pm »

Under Options/Filetypes, what are your settings?  Did you try the topic on our wiki?

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 06:14:17 pm »

Hi Moto, I just encountered and solved a similar problem to the one you describe, white noise for 4 seconds when switching from mp3 to m4a (I use Waspi-Event Style to an external DAC, not Direct Sound.)

Try installing CCCP codec package, then select "using directshow filter" for m4a under Options/File Type. Checking "ffdshow Audio Decoder" under "other filters" completely eliminated the white noise from my computer.

I'm guessing J River can't ship the program with these codecs installed for rights/usage reasons...

MrMoto

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 07:26:06 pm »

Hi Jimh and drmimosa.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate.

My file association for AAC is "Automatic". I just read on the subject on Wiki. I now have a better understanding of how it works.

I have tried using JRiver audio engine (Usind Directshow filter), and Automatic or Mp4 source filters. Same result.

Installing CCCP might be a solution if I understand correctly. Not sure if I want to get into that, but maybe I won't have a choice.

Any suggestion, before I go down the CCCP route?

I suppose I could also try a different file association.

MrMoto

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2011, 07:53:40 pm »

Selecting Quicktime as the playbacvk method fixed the problem.

Is there a disadvantage to using Quicktime?

Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up