INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gizmo 2 - Plays a few songs and then stops.  (Read 2803 times)

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
Gizmo 2 - Plays a few songs and then stops.
« on: December 17, 2010, 02:13:29 pm »

I can successfully connect to MC from Gizmo, play a song or so, and then it stops. Gizmo goes back to the "You're on the bus" screen where I can press "resume." If I press resume, nothing happens. If click next, I get a Java io state exception. And sometimes, when it just fails, I exit by going to Android home screen and sometimes music suddenly starts playing. I can't stop it without ending task because launching Gizmo seems to load a second instance which has no control over the first.

On the server side of things, I can see the library server answering the get requests. When Gizmo gets stuck, I see MC receives one... two... three... and sometimes a fourth get request. I assume MC is not answering. By the 3rd or 4th tries, Gizmo has bailed and gone into an unreliable state.

On a related note, is there a way to specify the port where Gizmo makes its http request? I ask because I am running an application which uses port 80. I did configure it to not use port 80, but Gizmo and MC still choked. Although, it does seem to make it through more songs before dying. Might be an illusion. I would like to change the port just to make sure there is not some other port 80 conflict. If anything, as a test.

I am not running a web server. I am running Gizmo 2 and MC 15.0.169.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Gizmo 2 - Plays a few songs and then stops.
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 02:31:14 pm »

Try updating Gizmo from the Market on the phone.

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 02:57:46 pm »

Ok. Done.

The market didn't say an update was due, but I uninstalled the app and installed the latest. It looks different.

In any case, it didn't fix the problem. It starts to play songs but stops. This time, to speed things up, I let the song play for some seconds and then press skipped. For those that played, I could see MC stream the bytes back. The last thing to happen before it seized is MC received 3 GET requests and did not respond.

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 03:11:43 pm »

I think I figured it out. I am still researching, but it appears things go bad when MC tries to serve up an mp4 file.

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 03:31:47 pm »

When I tried to play the mp4 (m4a really) files on the server, I did receive a direct-x filter error. So, I d/l'ed the latest k-lite codec pack (basic) and installed it. It removed some old stuff and cleaned up registry stuff. Now MC plays the mp4 files no problem, but the library still can't serve them back.

So, I went to the Library Server client settings and told it to always convert audio. Not sure if these settings affect Gizmo, but I know it didn't fix anything.

How can I get the library server to serve m4a files? Given that MC does play them fine on the host machine.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 03:36:06 pm »

I think you'll have to convert them to MP3, since Gizmo uses the music player on the Android, and it probably won't play M4A or M4P.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 04:55:03 pm »

M4A and M4P require Directshow filters for playback.  For now, files that aren't natively supported may not work with Gizmo.

We'll look at improving the conversion engine to support Directshow-decoded audio when possible.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

kamiller42

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 05:11:34 pm »

Thanks for the heads up guys. At least I found why Gizmo went no-go. When MC or Gizmo hits a file it can't play, it show an "unable to play file" message and/or skip to the next song.

Android can play m4a. http://developer.android.com/guide/appendix/media-formats.html

I would like to convert my mp4 files. I had a huge collection of them. I started converting them to FLAC a while back actually. The problem I have had since one upgrade of MC is the inability to "Convert Format." I can play mp4 files. But when I try to convert an mp4 file using the library tool, I get the dreaded "Unable to convert" error. I tried changing playback method to Automatic and JRiver audio engine (using DirectShow filter). No go.

The original files have an .mp4 extension, but I changed one to m4a to test.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 01:41:57 pm »

I wanted to follow up to say that playback of M4A works fine on Gizmo for me.  I think you just need to make sure Media Center is configured and able to use native playback of M4A.

Of course, files protected by Apple DRM will not be playable.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up