INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Fancy Boxes 1.0: A Real Start Page for MC15 :-)  (Read 5197 times)

Media Freak

• Junior Woodchuck
  • My middle name is MEDIA
Fancy Boxes 1.0: A Real Start Page for MC15 :-)
« on: June 16, 2010, 11:16:37 pm »

FANCY PLAYLISTS
Now playlists are no longer represented by a line of text, they're pretty with images :-); the full playlists list will be build under the "Playlists" page of MC. Flip through playlists through categories with covers just like browsing the music library in thumbnail mode.

FANCY BOXES

I never could find a use for MC's default Start page (you know, the one with the white background?) and I always wonder do you guys ever use it? Well, maybe some of you do and for most of the rest, it's just sitting there empty. Well, I came up with an idea and actually act on it, it's not fully done and concrete but I'm so excited with the first day working on it that I decide to share what it looks like with ya'll. For now, I label this as a personal project because I'm not quite sure how I will be able to distribute it so that it work outside of my PC. However, I guess if interest picks up then someone here will help on making it distributable.

What's the reason to even use the start page when MC can be default to land on any other pages?
  • My first thought is "hey" there's a page I could use as an extra in MC to organize more of my favorite stuff
  • A bad excuse to waste more time in MC
  • An even worst excuse to browse other media providers in MC and bypass the need to open their players (I mean, worst in a good way :-))
  • I'm a media addict and the more I can browse, the better. Able to do it without leaving MC is the s%$#.
  • Make MC even more personal

What it is made of?
The same thing that JRiver build the Start page with: HTML + CSS... yup!!! However, my project will have 5 pages browsable without refreshing the interface, JQuery enhanced with 6 Categories to flip through, i.e: Web Music, Videos, RSS, etc... And yes, there's some fanciness about it that you can only see when in actual use; I'll make a screen recording soon.

The project is in early phase and I hope I can finish it and be proud that I got to add something to MC. However, my best hope is that someone who has more knowledge in coding for MC can take this idea and build on it. So please if you have ideas then share, let's make it a debate :-)
I'll comeback with more updates once I'm moving further with Fancy Boxes.
My Music collection runs 24/7; I threw away the Stop button.

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
Re: Fancy Boxes 1.0: A Real Start Page for MC15 :-)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 04:54:33 pm »

That's...awesome... /me wants! :D

Media Freak

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 02:53:01 am »

That's...awesome... /me wants! :D
Still rough on the edges. Hopefully, interest will pick up on here and I'll get some help from peeps with more knowledge of the MC architecture/code and maybe some help/guidance from J River. I really don't want to see this stay in my hand only, I'd love to expand on it.

Media Freak

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 03:23:18 am »

I know MC has a good few web based media already in the backend but they are more placed as to get extra info on the file being played and are represented just by a line of link. Nothing is wrong with that as they are still helpful but having a whole area that all your favorite entertainment destination are organized with a vibrant and stylish interface, I believe it makes the experience better. At that point, the backend Standard View becomes as engaging as Theater View. So, that's one of the reason I come up with this project.

A few more shots of how the sites looks in the body of MC. I've actually been very careful with the sites I choose because I don't want to have sites when I open them, that they look like a website with a bunch of banners and advertisement. That's why I choose Vevo and not Youtube. The cleaner and more straight forward, the nicer it look inside the body of MC. It's kinda like the sites are apps built in MC like Performer. Notice Zune and Rhapsody inside...neat.

[Rec]2 Trailer playing right in the interface with Apple's lightbox

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 04:12:37 am »

It looks really nice, def. a start page that MC deserves to have, instead of that plain/old-looking one it currently has. My only complaint here is that MC still uses IE's rendering engine, but hey we can't have everything in the world:P

I might not be of any use coding-wise, but i will gladly help you test it and report back any bugs and/or suggestions!

ps: What changes did you do to advanced track info's css to make it black-ish in the screenshots?:P

bytestar

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Alpha/Betatester
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2010, 04:10:32 pm »

This is a very nice Project, i hope you release it soon.  :D
Official Microsoft © product tester.
Download the latest language file https://1drv.ms/u/s!AnQ3L_bTnnzv4otXL9-G4rUj9wX6Tw?e=TLGgjb (is constantly updated)

Media Freak

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 10:38:39 pm »

As I've been working and brainstorming on ways to distribute this project to you guys in here, JRiver just dealt me a blow with the release of Media Center 15.0.70 by taking off the "Start" button from the listing tree. That automatically takes away the project value and functions. I just wrote a thread to JimH and ask to reinstate the button so let's hope he brings it back.

sunfire7

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 12:59:48 am »

the project looks good, I think JRiver can make the start button disabled by default but with the option to enable it!
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

Media Freak

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 09:11:58 am »

Thanks Sunfire7 for the idea... let's hope it goes through.

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 10:42:14 pm »

Since the start page was put back in the tree, is this available for download and testing soon?
I'd like to take a run at it since it looks right up my alley as far as what I'd like the start page to be.

Media Freak

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 01:32:58 am »

Sorry for the delay and absence here. Believe it or not, I end up losing the whole work for both Fancy boxes and Fancy Playlists after a crash :-(. I know, I know... back-up, back-up and back-up. well, I've learned to back up religiously now. I'll be back with some updates by end of next week. Thanks for your interests on this.

nathanchavez

• Galactic Citizen
  • I know nothing except for the fact of my ignorance
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 08:06:08 pm »

Media Freak - What standard skin are you using there?

Arbiter

• World Citizen
  • In love with music.
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 08:23:58 am »

Media Freak - What standard skin are you using there?

I think he's using Albedo :)

Media Freak

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 02:18:08 pm »

Yup!! you are right, Arbiter. It's the Albedo skin.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 02:58:19 am »

I much prefer Alex's "Pearl" skin over Albedo. It's somehow calmer to use, an altogether far more refined skin :)

HTPC4ME

• LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2010, 06:49:18 pm »

Watching This topic With Anxiousness!

Livin

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2010, 10:35:10 am »

MF,
Are you going to post soon?  Does the page have the ability to launch other apps on the PC?

HTPC4ME

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2010, 03:06:07 pm »

any new news on this? this looks Fricken AWESOME!!!!

Media Freak

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2010, 01:36:59 am »

Hey everybody,

I'm doin' my best putting this together again since I've lost it the first time. I'm jammed between some other work so working on this has been a bit slow. However, I see interests being picked up here in the forum for this addon. So, I'll do my very best to speed it up.

BTW, I'm looking for the help of anybody who have been coding plugin for MC, to help me on the final delivery of the Fancy Boxes project. Send me a message or something so we can discuss.

Thanks!!

HTPC4ME

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2011, 01:25:45 pm »

Hoping This Topic Doesnt Rust Away...
I'd be willing to donate for this feature.. Be great also as ive mentioned elsewhere on forum to incorporate our social media into jriver and theater view - yahoo messenger\msn live messenger, facebook etc. along with the ones you show in your pics. vevo rhapsody, pandora etc.. if your watching amovie listening to music and wanted to chat with people it would bring up a page in theaterview for social stuff. not sure if possible. but be coool

Pages: [1]   Go Up