INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Right Side of Screen Darkens - Theater View  (Read 2856 times)

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
Right Side of Screen Darkens - Theater View
« on: November 08, 2010, 01:52:29 pm »

Good day everyone!

When in Theater View, the rightmost 1/8 of the screen is darker than the rest of the screen.  The text/pictures are still visible in this area, it is just shaded darker than the rest of the screen.

Any thoughts on how to eliminate this?

Cheers,
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

pcstockton

Re: Right Side of Screen Darkens - Theater View
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 04:34:26 pm »

I forgot I had asked this question.  The dark band down the right side is actually pretty annoying.

I can only surmise it is there due to the scrolling menus bars fading off to the right???  Not sure.

Does anyone else have the same situation?  Does anyone know how to fix it if possible?

Thanks,
Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Gzydeck

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 08:24:10 pm »

I'm having the exact same issue.

Using a brand new Dell 15R laptop, HDMI out, to a new 50" Plasma.

Everything else via HDMI looks perfect.

When using MC15 Theater view the far right part of the screen has black bleeding into the picture.

Since everything else plays perfectly, I have to believe it is coming from MC15.

Any ideas???

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 08:39:53 pm »

Please post a screenshot (or email one to matt at jriver dot com)

It sounds like something particular to a certain video card or driver since only a few users are seeing it, but it would be helpful to see exactly what you're seeing.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Gzydeck

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 08:04:43 am »

Here's a screen shot. Scroll the picture over to the far right.

Look right below the "volume down" icon. The whole pane below that is darkened.

I'm not so sure that just a few have the problem. It could be not that many are using Theater View (I've used MC for as long as I can remember and just started using it), and for those that do not many are inclinded to post on the forum.

My Laptop is a brand new Dell Inspiron 15R. Latest driver is installed. Native resolution is 1366 x 768. Everything else looks perfect. It's only in Theater View that I have the problem.

Doesn't bother me so much on laptop....but when projecting to 50" plasma via HDMI is really stands out.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Gregg Z.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 08:23:00 am »

Here's a screen shot. Scroll the picture over to the far right.

This is normal.

It was a stylistic decision to fade out the right side of background images.  When the images fade out, you see more of the background color, which in your case, is black.

You can change the background color of Theater View in Options > Theater View > Theme > Background.

pcstockton

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 09:54:55 am »

Matt,

What was the reason ffor this decision?  Just curious?  it seems like a glitch.

Why only the right side?

Is there any chance this will be eliminated?

Thanks!
Patrick

Gzydeck

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 07:38:25 am »

I just tried various settings for Theater View, and no matter the color of the backround, it still creates a "shadow" effect on the right side of the screen. I understand now that it is the background showing through.....however, it still just looks like an error in the program.

Here's another pic with just the front end showing. Scroll over to the right, and you can see that the "exit" button is kind of blurred out. The settings are Skin Image and orange background. It's the same using any combination...just to one degree or another.

I know you said it was a stylistic decision.....but for those of us using Theater View, it just looks like an error. Not being able to cleary read the icons in the front end just doesn't seem to be right.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 10:19:20 am »

The rollers fade out at each edge of the screen.  In my opinion, this looks nicer than a hard edge chopping a word in two.

pcstockton

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 11:22:51 am »

I fully agree with fadin the rollers out, but it isn't just the rollers.  It is the entire edge of the screen.... and only the right edge of the screen.

When you move a roller bar over to the left, the bar simply fades out, not the entire screen.

And by "fade out" regarding the screen, i guess I mean it "blackens".  The rollers fade, but the screen darkens to black.  Most noticeable with light backgrounds obviously.

lastly, it only occurs as far as I can tell in "Playing Now", it doesn't seem to occur in "info", not sure about "list"

It does look like a bug.  If it occurred on both sides of the screen I probably wouldnt have noticed it.

Thanks!
Patrick

gappie

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 11:44:03 am »

i think it is not a bug... its a leftover from how images from the net where ones displayed. that changed, and the blackening at the right was not. so it was a stylistic decision on a style not used anymore.. and yes it does not look very stylish, a bit like a bug.
 :)
gab

Gzydeck

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 12:37:13 pm »

Matt,

Thanks for responding and clearing some of this up. Fading out the icons makes sense, and I wan't aware of that.

As I've been looking at this more closely, it does appear only during playing now. And only with the backround images.

After looking a little closer, the fade/black effect is not only on the right hand side, but also along the bottom as well.

The top and left side look clean. Once again, I am learning more....but still likes like a bug when you put it up on the big screen TV.

pcstockton

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 03:24:33 pm »

It is there in any view with background images in Theater View.  It is there in "info" and "list", i just hadnt noticed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up