INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MCRemote simply does not get a connection  (Read 1978 times)

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
  • You don't know what you're missing until its gone
MCRemote simply does not get a connection
« on: March 20, 2012, 03:29:43 am »

Hi,

I'm a bit lost here. During the weekend I solved several smaller bugs in the communication classes that fetch information from the MC Webservice. Although these did not have a negative effect in my test setup they could cause problems in other situations. At my end it's still working perfectly.

Now I've got a customer in Israel who claims the remote is not working at all. In the beta version I've created for him the following connection possibilities are present:
  • Connect via DLNA. The remote automatically scans the network for MC servers. This is the default when no Host and Port are provided.
  • He can enter a Host name or IP Address and a Portnumber (default 52199).
  • Now MCRemote works with polling the server. Every 500ms the state of the Playback is fetched and every second the keylist of the current playlists is fetched. In the beta version he can decrease the frequency by enlarging the wait time.
  • In the About screen there is diagnostic information which shows min/max/avg response time/size, aborted fetches, and the current queue length

All this didn't solve his problem.

He can get to the webservice from his phone using the browser so there is a connection to the server (no firewall blocking, no adware blocking, etc.) just works from the browser. I've thought through everything and have come to no conclusion on what is happening at his place.

He uses the latest version of MC (17.0.99) and he has nice phone hardware (Samsung Omnia W i8350).

Does anyone have any other ideas than the ideas I've vented through my website (http://sinnema.ch/?p=304) already.

Regards
Paul

GrantDG

• World Citizen
Re: MCRemote simply does not get a connection
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 11:50:40 pm »

I gather that MCRemote uses the MC web services? He could try to browse to them directly from his device browser at:
http://[machinename]:[port]/MCWS/v1/

That will at least prove connectivity between device and server.

From a technical point of view - Silverlight for Windows phone can only handle a max of 6 concurrent http requests at any single time, you may need to check the code to ensure that the 500ms repeat is not creating too many overlapping requests. Network latency plays a great part in this.

Hope this may help you a little bit!
Looking to control J River Media Center from your Windows Phone?: Look for nMedium & nMedium Play in the WP store

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 02:16:48 pm »

Hi,

Ok, this is something I could have anticipated but did not. During the autoscan I use a DLNA M-SEARCH request to call devices on the network. When you configure a ST: Parameter in that request, only clients that advertise the requested urn in the ST: message should react. It seems that not all client are conform specifications and react no matter what is in the ST: parameter. This is what happened. Since I did not check the response for an urn returned I simply assumed that the first response would be MC. One of the testers dicovered that MC Remote was using a wrong IP Address. It was the addres and port of a uTorrent also running on his network. It seems uTorrent reacted too and sent MC Remote a response which lead to the wrong IP Address. I had to add some diagnostic information for the testers to check the IP Address amongst other things (like error responses, max/min response times, max/min message size, etc).

Oh, I did not know that Phone can only handle up to 6 requests simultaniously. I think I am still on the save side here (max 3 per second) but it is good to know. Thanks for that.

Regards
Paul

PaulSinnema

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 02:40:51 pm »

I just tested the number of requests that are open at some point. At the start of the application a lot of lists are populated and many requests for information and images are fires. At some point there 60 simultanious request open at the same time. On my phone everything runs smooth and without problems. So I guess that 1 request is not equivalent to 1 connection. The documentation states that each application can have max 6 connection open at any time (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff637518(v=vs.92).aspx see Limitations). Am I right in assuming what I said above that 1 request is not the same as 1 connection?
Pages: [1]   Go Up