INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVD Freezes MJ8  (Read 839 times)

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
DVD Freezes MJ8
« on: June 09, 2002, 08:09:13 pm »

Attempting to play a DVD freezes up MJ...  I have a Philips DVD RW.
The features page says that in order to play DVDs, MJ requires "DirectShow 6.1 software and an mpeg2 decoder"
That must be the problem. I don't know where to get or how to choose this software.
I need some direction here.
Thanks.
(Also, an interesting bug appeared after I restarted MJ8 after it froze and I end-tasked it. MJ became always-on-top, even after I tried to select other windows such as IE or Windows Explorer. I haven't been able to replicate this.)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:DVD Freezes MJ8
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2002, 05:12:46 am »

You need to install the software that came with the DVD player.

DirectShow is part of DirectX, available from Microsoft, but installing the DVD player software may solve the problem.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2002, 10:28:42 am »

I have a Dell 8200 with XP and Philips DVD RW pre-installed.
I'm pretty sure that XP already has Direct X.
The Dell came with Power DVD player, which works fine.
I had installed InterActual DVD player (which came with some DVD movies), and it used to work (or at least it worked on the day I installed it). I just tested it today, and it didn't work. So I uninstalled it, thinking there might be some conflict with MJ8. No change to MJ8.
I also uninstalled ATI Multimedia Center... which came with my All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500. Still, MJ8 crashes when I try to play a DVD.

And, I continue to get the always-on-top "feature."  When I select other program windows, they appear behind MJ8 when MJ8 is in a window or full-screen.  I can view other windows by minimizing MJ8.  It's only after I crash MJ8 trying to play a DVD, but not always.

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2002, 09:10:04 am »

Any chance I can get help on this?
Has MJ8 been tested with Philips DVD 'plus' RW (The plus sign gets dropped on this bb.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up