INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC16 uprade install stuck  (Read 1404 times)

yoyoc

• World Citizen
MC16 uprade install stuck
« on: February 16, 2011, 05:53:35 am »

?

I have attempted several times to install the upgrade to MC16 beta posted in interact but as soon as the installer states that its initiating upgrade from previous version, the installation stalls and stays there without responding.

what should I do?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC16 uprade install stuck
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 07:45:05 am »

You can run the installer with a /NoUpgrade switch to skip this step.  Then manually restore a library backup from v15 into v16.

If you email a library to matt at jriver dot com from v15, I would appreciate it.  Hopefully then we'll be able to reproduce the upgrade problem and fix it for other users.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 07:51:50 am »

I wonder if something is preventing it from accessing the previous version library files. Could it be an overactive security program?

In general I would prefer to have an option to not automatically load the old library and settings. Not all users have the old version set up in the best possible way and some users might prefer to start with a vanilla MC16 instance.

Here is a quote from one of my replies:
I'd actually prefer to have the "old settings and library import" optional. It could be automatic with the Express install, but optional with the Custom install.

To simplify things the automatic library & settings import could simply be disabled when Custom Install is selected.

EDIT

Matt posted while I was writing my reply.

So we have a command line switch for disabling the library restore. Thanks.
However, what I suggested would be easier for the users.

EDIT 2

Perhaps the option to disable upgrading could be presented only if a previous version is found. Then it could also show the "restore tickboxes" for restoring the library and/or settings. After all it is the custom mode and it is supposed to provide various useful customization options.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

yoyoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 08:42:59 pm »

Im sorry but, i dont see any option in the installation to install without upgrade.

Also, in the option to email the library, if I understood correctly, the system says that the message would be extremly large over 200 megs.  Maybe I missunderstood, what should i do?  ?

yoyoc

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 04:59:30 am »

Uninstalled MC 15, installed the MC 16 and restored the backup.  OK
Pages: [1]   Go Up