INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how to port foward for jriver media server  (Read 7954 times)

tcman41

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Sound Surfing!
how to port foward for jriver media server
« on: February 06, 2013, 11:12:11 pm »

I have 4 computers in my home using windows 7 or 8, wireless router and wan setup, i turn media server on one computer and the others can access my media library, all works fine.

I now want to access my media library from the outside (via internet at my girlfriends house) on my laptop I will take there.

I understand I have to allow my wireless router to port forward the connection to my media server computer at home.

I have all ready adjusted my firewall to allow thru MC18 app on private and public networks, I am getting stuck on the port forwarding part.

I open up my dlink dir-655 router web page and click advanced tab, then I get stuck.

> do i create the port forward in the virtual server area or the port forwarding area?
> what port I am allowing thru, 52199, 80 or something else?
> what i.p. address I am allowing to, my routers inside i.p., my routers outside i.p. or the media server computer i.p?
> I keep getting a message that the i.p. I am entering must be a subset of my lan, what does this mean?

thanks  :)

bob

• Administrator
Re: how to port foward for j.river media server
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 09:58:48 am »

I can't tell you anything about that specific router but in general you will want to do this:
Port forward 52199 to the server PC's lan address.
That lan address should be fixed, either a static address or a static DHCP lease.
Port forwarding by default forwards the address and port on the wan interface of the router to the destination you put into the port forward.
For example, if my outside (internet) ip address is 1.2.3.4 and my PC's lan address is 192.168.0.3 then the port forward looks like this:

1.2.3.4:52199 -> 192.168.0.3:52199

In some cases it's possible to have a different destination port than the source port but that is NOT your aim here.

tcman41

• Sound Surfing!
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 07:15:49 am »

I can't tell you anything about that specific router but in general you will want to do this:
Port forward 52199 to the server PC's lan address.
That lan address should be fixed, either a static address or a static DHCP lease.
Port forwarding by default forwards the address and port on the wan interface of the router to the destination you put into the port forward.
For example, if my outside (internet) ip address is 1.2.3.4 and my PC's lan address is 192.168.0.3 then the port forward looks like this:

1.2.3.4:52199 -> 192.168.0.3:52199

In some cases it's possible to have a different destination port than the source port but that is NOT your aim here.

thanks, that cleared some things up, but it keeps telling me that my ip addresses should be within the lan subset, still dont know what this means.

it seems that i can forward port 52199 to my pc on the lan, but when i first try to forward port to my routers outside ip address, it keeps saying that the ip address must be within my lan's subset.

just not getting it, any help  ?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 04:33:48 pm »

thanks, that cleared some things up, but it keeps telling me that my ip addresses should be within the lan subset, still dont know what this means.

it seems that i can forward port 52199 to my pc on the lan, but when i first try to forward port to my routers outside ip address, it keeps saying that the ip address must be within my lan's subset.

just not getting it, any help  ?
You don't have to specify the outside address, that is assumed. The return packets from your PC don't need any entries. You just need to forward 52199 TO your MC PC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up