INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: cannot connect to media server  (Read 1361 times)

JamieF

cannot connect to media server
« on: June 07, 2002, 08:36:18 pm »

I just installed 8.0.293 on a win95 system and cannot get it to connect to my home lan media server at all - any suggestions?

The media server is also 8.0.293 running on win2k and the lan is fast ethernet with windows networking. The other 8.0.293 win2k computer on the network can see the media server just fine and it works great. No other problems with any other applications, print or file sharing between the win95 system and the win2k systems - everything else seems to work fine except the media server. I've reinstalled 8.0.293 a couple times all around just in case, and tried to connect using the media server's computer name, ip address, and ip address: port, but to no avail. Wondering - am I missing something really basic here? What should I check?

claudio

RE:cannot connect to media server
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2002, 09:13:58 pm »

Hi Jamie

What is the message you get?

This sounds like a networking issue more than an Mj issue. A few general suggestion: try pinging the ip address of the server from a the Win95 machine. In a dos shell of the server you can also try typing: netstat -a and see which port the media server is listening to for connection. Do the same on the client while it's trying to connect

Claudio

Michel

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2002, 03:07:36 am »

Check if the sharing is started (menu File or Settings). "Show status" (menu Settings) in order to see what happens on the server side.

JamieF

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2002, 05:29:21 am »

I agree this may be a networking problem, not an MJ problem, that was my first thought but I am not sure. Several other applications can operate OK across the network, the only problem seems to be with media server. The error message I get is, "Cannot establish connection to the server."  On the server side, the media server status log does not show this computer as even trying to connect. At the same time, the client does see the entire library on the server computer - probably through the shared drive connection - but cannot play anything in that library. I tried creating a new playlist from the client, and it was created ok on the server pc without a media server connection(?!). I also tried manually setting a port number on the media server then connecting to that port number, but that one didn't work either. Other suggestions?

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2002, 05:56:40 am »

If you're connecting from a remote connection, the problem may be a firewall.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

JamieF

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2002, 06:09:21 am »

This is all within a home lan, not a remote connection. It is behind a hardware firewall that affects the wan connection to the internet but not the lan connections. Can I just "import media" from the network drive onto multiple computers?

JimH

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2002, 05:24:56 am »

Is TCP/IP installed and running right on the problem machine?
Jim Hillegass

JamieF

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2002, 03:02:34 pm »

Yes, everything else still seems to be fine, and tcp/ip setup certainly looks correct. Also, permissions are wide open on the media server machine for the users logging on from the problem machine. Still, media server cannot connect. ??

Jaundiced Eye

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2002, 08:38:29 am »

Get the same error message.

JimH

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2002, 08:44:30 am »

If you want me to test either server, you can e-mail the IP address and port info to me at jimh @ jriver.com.
Jim Hillegass

Jaundiced Eye

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2002, 09:20:24 am »

I don't know what I did, but media server now appears to be running.  Could have been Net congestion, but in any event is now working smoothly.  Thanks fo the offer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up