INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC wont list my Cambridge 752 player to send files to it  (Read 2006 times)

scottm_dj

• Recent member
MC wont list my Cambridge 752 player to send files to it
« on: September 17, 2013, 09:20:05 pm »

New user--checking out trial and having an issue.  I originally set it up and after completing the media server section with code/password my Cambridge 752 player (basically an Oppo 103 twin) could see the server and the Cambridge showed up under "Playing Now" where I could send files TO it from MC.   That also meant using Gizmo on my Android showed a "play to Cambridge" option.  Talk about awesome--I could switch from music to movies instantly using my phone and it worked great!

However, I then noticed some files weren't showing up properly (tagging) so I messed with the library files auto-import directories and a few non media server settings, and suddenly I noticed the option for sending to the Cambridge was gone in the program and on the phone.  I can't get it back, even after uninstalling and rebuilding everything (can still play them from the CA player itself) .   Again, it's a media rendering unit (along with a state of the art player that plays 24-bit files)--but how do I get it to show up again in MC to send files to it as was setup before?  Feed the IP to the MC program somewhere?  What am i missing here???

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC wont list my Cambridge 752 player to send files to it
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 07:54:44 am »

... suddenly I noticed the option for sending to the Cambridge was gone in the program and on the phone.  I can't get it back, even after uninstalling and rebuilding everything (can still play them from the CA player itself) .   Again, it's a media rendering unit (along with a state of the art player that plays 24-bit files)--but how do I get it to show up again in MC to send files to it as was setup before?  Feed the IP to the MC program somewhere?  What am i missing here???

The UPnP discovery process can sometimes take a while before a device appears in MC's players list. Especially if you have a slightly dodgy wifi lan connection, where the discovery broadcasts may be being dropped or otherwise interfered with. So my suggestion is a) wait for about ten minutes to see if the player eventually shows up, and or b) try to connect it via Ethernet..

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

scottm_dj

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 03:10:10 pm »

Thanks...I'll try that, but i'm sure i had it active (looking) for quite a while.  I don't know what i did the "first time" to get it going without even realizing it.  It's such a cool function as used with Gizmo and really want to get it back!

I have another quick question.  Originally I got the 24-bit  FLAC files i am streaming to said Cambridge to say "PCM" for the file icon...and once again, after the reinstall, they now say "WAV" instead.  Why would they say WAV when they are FLAC...and can someone tell me where i would go to change it back to show PCM?

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 04:09:14 pm »

I have another quick question.  Originally I got the 24-bit  FLAC files i am streaming to said Cambridge to say "PCM" for the file icon...and once again, after the reinstall, they now say "WAV" instead.  Why would they say WAV when they are FLAC...and can someone tell me where i would go to change it back to show PCM?

Many players do not support playing Flac files via the network, and the default "must support"  format is PCM. So the safest option is to have the MC server transcode the input files to PCM on the fly. To do this, go to "Tools | Options | Media Network | Add or Configure DLNA Servers | Audio" and then under "Mode" select "Specified Output Format", and under "Format" select "PCM L16 No Header".

You mention that your player has a 24 bit DAC, so you could also try "Format = PCM L24 No Header" or even "Mode = Original". However even though the blurb says it supports 24 bit, experience tells me that that your player might not necessarily really support those formats. Whereas "PCM L16 No Header" is a fairly safe bet all round.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

scottm_dj

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 05:20:47 pm »

It does support (and receive) 24 bit and I can test that is being sent by temporarily setting up the MC server on my Oppo 95, which is a DLNA player (not renderer).  That unit is HDMI daisy chained to my Cambridge's HDMI input (so I can play my priceless DVD-Audio ISO backups via the Oppo).    When I do that, I can select "info" on the Cambridge and see that it is indeed 24bit 96 or 192khz as being sent from MC.   Thanks for the suggestions in both threads--I'll check it out!
Pages: [1]   Go Up