INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with streaming across a network  (Read 4906 times)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
Help with streaming across a network
« on: March 04, 2011, 11:10:30 pm »

Editing original post to reflect progress:

After talking to UVerse support I found out I can't use the UVerse box with MC (they only support Windows Media Center). This is no big deal.

Regarding the Xbox...

I went through and added it as you said and I do in fact see my library on the Xbox and it does stream fine across the network.

Is there any way to set up the Xbox such that I can control what's being played through it from the Media Center interface from my PC instead of being forced to use an xbox controller/remote?

Also... I have an Onkyo receiver that I know supports DLNA both directions like this. However, whenever I try to play something in Media Center to the Onkyo receiver (which does show up on MC as a zone under playing now) I get some kind of permission error.

Any idea how to make either of these sources work as desired? I just want to be able to stream music in my living room from MC on my PC in my office which is my command center for everything in my house.

Thanks for your help.

Also, I see I probably should have posted this on the Media Network board. My apologies.

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MC & AT&T U-Verse... anyone gotten it to work?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 11:48:33 pm »

just for clarification: i have a library on a PC in Media Center 16; I want to stream this to library to other devices on my network... namely, an at&t u-verse box. and also an xbox360. neither device can see media center 16's library.

here's my mc16 settings:
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/__4Z0p27ylVU/TXHOeGvI_8I/AAAAAAAAB3E/FBLBApoi6pU/s1152/wrongsettings.jpg

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MC & AT&T U-Verse... anyone gotten it to work?
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 12:29:38 am »

i've all but given up on getting this to work...

i can't even get media center which is installed on my PC to play music to my receiver (though the receiver does show up in the zone list... when i try to play it tells me to check my settings, etc).

it doesnt work the other way either (i can't play music stored on my PC from the receiver's interface... when i trym my receiver says authentication failed. you do not have permission to access this server. ) even if this were to work i wouldnt want to use it because this is sluggish and i would much rather use MC to manage what is being played throughout my home!)

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
Re: MC & AT&T U-Verse... or help with ANY streaming across a network...
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 12:31:17 am »

also is not working when i check the DLNA controller box.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2011, 02:07:22 pm »

For your X-Box, on the "Media Network" options page, click "Add or configure DLNA servers" and then on the dialog that appears, click the "Add" button and select "X-Box 360" from the list.  Click Ok, and Ok again, and then it should show up on your X-Box.

As far as the AT&T box, is it supposed to handle the DLNA protocol?  If so, you should see your Media Center library on it.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

steveklein

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2011, 03:26:01 pm »

After talking to UVerse support I found out I can't use the UVerse box with MC (they only support Windows Media Center). This is no big deal.

Regarding the Xbox...

I went through and added it as you said and I do in fact see my library on the Xbox and it does stream fine across the network.

Is there any way to set up the Xbox such that I can control what's being played through it from the Media Center interface from my PC instead of being forced to use an xbox controller/remote?

Also... I have an Onkyo receiver that I know supports DLNA both directions like this. However, whenever I try to play something in Media Center to the Onkyo receiver (which does show up on MC as a zone under playing now) I get some kind of permission error.

Any idea how to make either of these sources work as desired? I just want to be able to stream music in my living room from MC on my PC in my office which is my command center for everything in my house.

Thanks for your help.

Pages: [1]   Go Up