INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Track list view in Action Window  (Read 1961 times)

james_smith1976

• Recent member
Feature Request: Track list view in Action Window
« on: March 04, 2011, 06:19:06 am »

I tend to view my music using (one of) the thumbnail views. One of the things I find quite annoying is the method for viewing tracks on an album - it's kind of distracting to the browsing process to have to view the panel popping up from the bottom or top, overlaid on my album thmbnails.

Couldn't the action window be utilised to display and allow track selection for albums? I.e. I click once on an album thumbnail and the tracklist (optionally) appears in the (nice/fixed/out of the way) action window, then it's a simple double-click to play.

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Re: Feature Request: Track list view in Action Window
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 09:32:53 am »

thats a great idea. alot less covers\thumbnails that way.
I know if i go to my rock genre\keywords, i am scrolling forever, due the amount of albums a certain artist has.

rick.ca

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 03:45:52 pm »

I tend to view my music using (one of) the thumbnail views.

What you mean by "thumbnail view" is unclear. In either a Categories or a Panes View, an "Album Thumbnails" List Style can be applied. In a Categories View, the top panel can be set with this style, while the lower panel can be left in the "Details." The lower panel is intended to be a file list, and can be set to open only when an album is selected.

In a Panes View, this style obviously should not be used unless you're primarily interested in albums and not so much in file details. If this is the case, but you still want to be able to select and play a particular track, you can do so by creating a playlist. Right-click and select Send To>Playlist or drag & drop the album onto Build Playlist in the Action Window. Either way, a playlist will appear in the Action Window—providing the functionality you're looking for.

james_smith1976

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 05:03:00 pm »

Yeh I think I’ve caused some misunderstanding.

I mean that in a covers based album view, to list tracks you have double click the album cover and the track list is overlaid in the main library window.

Just saying that using the action window to list tracks of an album would a cool alternative, for example
  - if I wan to start from track 5 of an album I could click the appropriate album cove once and double click track 5 in the action window to stat playback.
  - whilst the album is playing, and I'm navigate away from album view, I can quickly use the track list in the action window (which is always visible vs. say the 'playing now' view) to go to another track.

Not saying there aren't ways to achieve this, just strikes me as a good additional option for the action window

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2011, 05:48:05 pm »

I mean that in a covers based album view, to list tracks you have double click the album cover and the track list is overlaid in the main library window.

The track list opens in a separate panel—it doesn't "overlay" anything. And another double-click closes it. Seem very convenient to me, and it doesn't interfere with anything else the action window might be used for.

Not saying there aren't ways to achieve this, just strikes me as a good additional option for the action window

I think it's more "redundant" than "additional." ;)

james_smith1976

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 08:21:02 am »

I think it's more "redundant" than "additional." ;)

Fair enough.

And my view is that the Action Window would be more usefully utilised during music playback with this feature - better than displaying the cover art for example, which doesn't really serve any useful purpose at all.

Edit: Just found I can use 'edit playing now in action window'. This more or less does what I want, which is great to find - and I apologise taking up board space with this... Why are these things so hidden in MC though!?

All I want now is a double click to play option for Thumbnail list style (rather than bringing up the track list panel) and I'll be happy  :)

Edit 2: Shame, the playing now window is not persistent between closing/re-opening MC so I’m back to square one…

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 11:23:05 am »

Edit: Just found I can use 'edit playing now in action window'. ... Why are these things so hidden in MC though!?
You're falling into the trap of perceiving the few issues you identify as being the final items on an ever-decreasing list of possibilities.  There are *hundreds* or *thousands* of items that could each be made to be less "hidden".  The problem is... if each was made more prevalent, the UI would be so cumbersome and difficult, folks would be screaming that less-oft used items should be moved out of view, thus hidden.

All I want now is a double click to play option for Thumbnail list style (rather than bringing up the track list panel) and I'll be happy  :)
The little "Play" control that pops-up upon hovering over a thumbnail is insufficient?  Consider your own desire for less hidden items above.  Here's a case where the control appears to you... and you don't want to use it. :-)

Edit 2: Shame, the playing now window is not persistent between closing/re-opening MC so I’m back to square one…
You can open Playing Now in a Tab, and have Tabs and their content remain upon restart.   Or did you mean the Edit Playing Now action window area?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

james_smith1976

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 11:42:50 am »

The little "Play" control that pops-up upon hovering over a thumbnail is insufficient?  Consider your own desire for less hidden items above.  Here's a case where the control appears to you... and you don't want to use it. :-)

What can I say? I'm lazy, impatient and time-poor (typical consumer?) double click would save me, what, ~.2 seconds of my life per album play? I don't even want to think how that scales up over a lifetime of use...

You can open Playing Now in a Tab, and have Tabs and their content remain upon restart.   Or did you mean the Edit Playing Now action window area?

The latter. I like that view, it's just what I was after, but it isn't retained when closing MC.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 11:48:39 am »

Just in case you aren't aware, save yourself 1 or 2 seconds by hovering over the Playing Now tab's and Select Edit Playing Now in Action Window from there (vs. menu Player->Playing Now->...).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up