INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC16.0.32 Beta NOT Streaming video to my Android Gizmo app (HELP)  (Read 3910 times)

famu97

• Junior Woodchuck

I'm now running MC16.0.32 and i really want this stream video to Gizmo app to work.  When ever I click on a video file (mp4) from the Gizmo app, it just says "Server preparing file". I let it sit there for like 15 mins and no video starts to play.  The screen turns black like something should be playing but its not. I have to hit the back button to get back to the Gizmo menu GUI. I'm connected locally via Wi-Fi from my Android phone. I have a Moto Cliq (1st version) running Android 2.1 and the latest update to Gizmo in the market.  The "server preparing file" msg is what it also says under MC15 as well but it only converted the video file to audio only the it streamed the audio to the device.  I want to stream the video file.  

What do I have to set or configure to see my movies in my MC video library stream to my Android device running Gizmo? My settings for video under Client Options under Media Network settings is "Conversion: MPEG4 medium bandwidth stream".  Like I said, I'm connected via wi-fi.  Also is there a specific mpeg4 video file spec that I can have my test video file already converted to so that MC doesn't have to convert anything and can just start streaming the video instantly?  for example should the video be converted to mpeg4 @ 320x280 resolution, stereo audio sound @ 128kbps, & video bit-rate @ 720kbps or less???  What is the ideal mpeg4 video file configuration that MC would just start streaming without having to convert any files or even just successfully stream?

First of all I'd just like to figure out how to get it successfully stream any mpeg4 video file (mpeg4) once? Is anyone getting video streaming to their Android device via Gizmo?  

I should say that streaming audio works great. I've been doing that since the Gizmo app came out via wi-fi or 3G. The mp3 streaming is awesome.

Please help?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC16.0.32 Beta NOT Streaming video to my Android Gizmo app (HELP)
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 08:30:48 pm »

This area is still under development.

I've asked JohnT on our side to take a look at it, and hopefully he'll have more to say.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

famu97

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 04:01:36 pm »

This area is still under development.

I've asked JohnT on our side to take a look at it, and hopefully he'll have more to say.

Okay well please let me know.  The feature list for MC v16 lists streaming video via Gizmo and frankly that's the only reason I would upgrade from v15 and I'm ready to pull the trigger on that but if its not there and/or doesn't work then please don't list it as a feature. that's misleading to me.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 12:56:54 am »

How will future implementation of video playback work on Gizmo? Seems like all supported video need conversion before playback, which makes it a bit useless on longer video files. DLNA Server seems to convert run-time, and works like a charm :-)
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 07:06:29 am »

Video on Gizmo is working now with the latest Gizmo and this build of MC:
http://files.jriver.com/mediacenter/MediaCenter160036.exe

dildaly

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 06:52:27 am »

I have installed the latest gizmo and am running the specified MC version 16 beta and my phone is just waiting saying server preparing file. This is happening with all video files. So far - after 15 minutes - the server is still "preparing the file" , yet it is only a 32mb MP4 video which I am trying to stream as a medium bandwidth MP4

Any suggestions?

dildaly

• Recent member
Re: MC16.0.39 Beta NOT Streaming video to my Android Gizmo app (HELP)
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 07:37:17 am »

I have now updated to MC 16.0.39 - I can now get the audio part of the video to play every time by waiting for conversion to finish and then pushing the "playing Now" option on the android phone menu. The only visual is the thumbnail of the video. This applies whether I set conversion to wmv or mp4.

Monkeyboy

• World Citizen
  • I'm a Monkey
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 07:06:47 am »

I'm having the same experience with video as above, it did work once. But the rest of the time I just get the "server preparing file" message.
Looks like this will be a killer feature, in fact its why I just upgraded to MC16 :)
Rich

dildaly

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 12:58:50 pm »

Don't know if this helps the J River architects, but a freeware prog "Any Video Convertor" can produce android streaming MP4 videos by adding a "flatten and add faststart" header to mp4 files. This works with android streaming progs such as ES File Explorer - happily producing files which are able to be streamed for both audio and (good quality) video. Perhaps the J River conversions for Gizmo could adapt this.

JohnT

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 01:02:26 pm »

We already do what "faststart" does - move the MOOV atom to the head of the file.  However we're transcoding the video from other formats so the MOOV atom isn't built until the transcoding is complete.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

dildaly

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 03:58:07 am »

I have tried streaming files which have been converted (in the J River conversion cache) using ES file explorer and they do not stream - my phone says they are not viable streaming media. Obviously there is some difference in the output produced by J River and the video converter freeware. I would love to use J River as the producer of streaming video, both generally and via Gizmo, but so far it only works for me with audio.

JohnT

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 10:29:05 pm »

When you see MC 16.0.51 or higher please give it a test and let us know if it works better for you.  There have been several improvements.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up