INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hardware CPU Question  (Read 1723 times)

coxhaus

• Recent member
Hardware CPU Question
« on: March 17, 2011, 02:49:44 pm »

I have built a dedicated music server for High End Audio. I am using a low powered low end Xeon cpu 2.33 dual core 1333fsb with 8gig ECC ram. This is a headless machine only doing music through Audio Research's ASIO usb drivers. Running JRiver and remote desktop my utilization is from 1% to 8% on my dual core cpu. The only settings I have set are play from memory which does make a difference in sound quality. Can you see any reason to add a quad core or faster processor with my current utilization? How many cores will JRiver use playing only audio with 1 zone? Am I missing any of the music details available of a ripped CD through JRiver by not adding a faster core or more cores?

MGD_King

• Citizen of the Universe
  • It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
Re: Hardware CPU Question
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 04:15:36 pm »

I'm running MC on a Dual Xeon 3.40Ghz Workstation with 8 GB of RAM and I see the same results you have so I wouldn't see the need to upgrade to another processor.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 10:56:08 pm »

How many cores will JRiver use playing only audio with 1 zone? Am I missing any of the music details available of a ripped CD through JRiver by not adding a faster core or more cores?

MC is heavily multithreaded and will use multiple cores when available for a variety of tasks (especially those in the background, like importing and analysis).  However, it doesn't sound like for your use that a more powerful machine would do any good.

Don't upgrade just to upgrade.  Do it to solve a specific problem or achieve a specific goal.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Marlene

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 08:21:50 pm »

(...) Am I missing any of the music details available of a ripped CD through JRiver by not adding a faster core or more cores?

I hope I get this right: do you think, that a quad core processor will improve the sound? If so I can assure you that the power of the processor has nothing to do with the sound. Not even remotely. You can live without sorrow with your very professional system. The hardware (CPU & RAM & probably the mainboard) is designed to run 24/7 with high quality. Keep it that way, itīs very good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up