INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I use fixed IP address with Webremote  (Read 1510 times)

Chazworth

• Recent member
Should I use fixed IP address with Webremote
« on: March 09, 2011, 10:46:27 am »

I have been experimenting using Webremote with my iPod Touch and MC15 (and MC16).  I am thrilled with the capabilities provided by the Webremote service.  Nice job.  Two questions:

-To connect to the MC music server from my iPod Touch, I emailed the "invitation" from DLNA portion MC that had the proper link to launch Webremote.  When clicking on the link on my Touch, I receive the message that it could not connect, then offers alternate links to connect (using the IP address).  I believe that this is expected behavior, and that it is necessary to use the IP address to connect.  I am able to then connect using the IP link provided by Webremote.  My problem is that the IP address on the host computer changes from time to time, I assume due to the DHCP server renewing the address of my computer when it reboots, etc.  Because of the changing IP address, the link that I use becomes incorrect, and I am forced to investigate the new IP address, and change my iPod Touch bookmark for the new address. 

Would you suggest that I make the IP address of my computer fixed to avoid this problem, or is there an easier way?  You will have to bear with my rudimentary networking skills, and I hope that my description above makes sense.

-I am using the Avid2 skin for webremote, which is significantly better than the stock skin.  Do you know if there are additional skins available anywhere?  I haven't seen any, but it would be great to play with different skins.

Thanks.  Charlie

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Should I use fixed IP address with Webremote
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 10:55:27 am »

If you go to:
http://webremote.jriver.com/[enter your access key here]

It will lookup your most current IP address.  The server updates its IP address with JRiver periodically for this to work.

The reason it doesn't auto-connect is because javascript security prevents the javascript from testing the addresses.  We haven't found a way around this, so it means you need to click the link.

If you switched to static IP addresses, you could just bookmark the WebRemote page on your Touch and it would always work when you're inside the network.  But it wouldn't work outside the network, so if you want access from inside the network and from the Internet, you're better off using Access Keys.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Chazworth

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 12:47:25 pm »

Ah, I see.  That makes sense -- clicking on the "webremote" address sniffs out the current IP address.  Thanks.

NickF

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 03:41:41 am »

I find that the simplest solution is to use the host name rather than the IP address. The host name doesn't change. This will only work within your private network, not over the Internet.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10
Pages: [1]   Go Up