INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Networking  (Read 1290 times)

DeathRider

• World Citizen
Networking
« on: June 05, 2002, 04:46:33 pm »

Alright you guys, I have seen a lot of posts about networking but have not paid much attention since I wasn't headed in that direction, but now I am needed to help someone with this issue. I have a friend that has 3 PC's and 2 laptops and wants to network them. Where can I go for some easy to follow info and tips on how to do this.

Thanks
Robert Long

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Networking
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2002, 05:02:27 pm »

Do you mean networking Windows PC's?

Under Control Panel, networking, make sure each PC is in the same "workgroup", called "chickenleg" or whatever you want to call it.  You have to have the MS Netbeui Protocol installed (same place).

Then reboot all PC's and hope for the best.

If you mean networking MJ, it's done with Media Server.  Best in version 8.0.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

DeathRider

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2002, 07:34:10 pm »

My mistake, I meant wireless networking, interlinking multiple pc's in adjoining rooms to share an ADSL conection and to share data and programs. something along those lines.

Thanks
Robert Long

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2002, 05:37:31 am »

I use Linksys equipment for that.  I think the router is this one:

http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=23&prid=20

and this is the card:

http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=22&prid=427

The only problem I had was that the card had one default setting that was stopping it from working.  It was Ad-Hoc vs. Infrastructure, and I don't remember which one worked.

This network is 802.11b, a nominal 11Mb per second, and the newer standard, 802.11a, is around 50Mb per second, but costs a lot more.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Harry|PLS|the|PLS|Hipster

Cotton-Eyed Loo

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2002, 10:07:24 am »

FYI 802.11g is just around the corner (I believe pearly run chips are circulating for integration testing etc). It's backwards compatible with 802.11b and about as fast as 802.11a. The major drawback of G vs A is that G, like B, supports only 3 non-overlapping concurrent bands [due to FCC regs and design decisions] whereas A can support more. The other major difference is that A is a higher frequency range and so has less physical range. This means that you would use more 802.11a access points to get the same physical coverage - but you could do it at higher speeds throughout the fabric.

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2002, 10:16:03 am »

With a Wireless Access Point / Firewall and lots of systems around the house you want "infrastructure" mode.

The linksys stuff works really wellm it's plug and play, and it's very cheap from Amazon with free shipping I think.

I just setup a friends home network with a desktop using the Linksys WFM11 PCI wireless card and it worked really well.

If you're using a PPP-OE DSL network (i.e. like Sprint or Earthlink) that makes you log in on the computer, the Linksys logs in for you and the you can have lots of systems behind the Linksys with no goofy DSL software on it.

email me if you want more info - john@ensemble.com
Namaste,
John

ama_mmmc

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2002, 10:39:10 am »

The only additional piece of information that I would add, is to do some research on the wireless card you get.  I have the Linksys BEFW11S4, with the Linksys WPC11 ver.1 PCMCIA card for my laptop, and after I bought it I started to see numerous negative reviews of it on various sites as not having a strong enough signal to communicate at the higher speeds.  The Orinoco 352 gold card is just a little more expensive, and I have since learned it has better perfomance.  Linksys has come out with several versions since the first one, that may be much better, but I can not speak to them.  

The area that I am trying to cover is not that big, so the card works okay for me, but if I want to go out on the patio, I am unable to get a signal.  

Drew

DeathRider

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2002, 03:48:20 pm »

ohhh boyyyy, Looks like I got some learnin to do, yall got this stuff down pat from the looks of it and I got to play catchup. I am going to use all the helpful info from yall and the links and start edumacatin myself. My, how things move along so fast in the technologie market, and just the other night I was browsing the web to look back on the days I used to play around on C64 and the Amiga syst's, I thaught I had stayed current for the most part but it looks like everything to a right turn and I missed it and kept going straight. So now I am going to make a U turn and find the new direction I need to be going in.

Gracias Yall
Robert Long

Cotton-Eyed Loo

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2002, 03:55:56 pm »

Ah the Amiga. I wish I still had my original 1000 |PLS| got it bundled with a 1080 mintor, 256KB RAM expansion, and an external floppy drive for $1395 many moons ago. I got the 1000 as a replacement for the Atari 1200xl which replaced my Atari 400 (6502C with 4KB RAM, it wasn't familiar with the term disk drive). I eventually sold the 1000 to buy a 2000HD (yep - it came with a hard drive!!!!). I eventually sold that to some professor in australia (go internet) and went computerless for about a year until I broke down and bought my first "ibm pc".

From what I understand as of WinNT 4 windows has a preemptive multitasking kernel like the Amiga 1000. Go microsoft! Only 15 years later!!! I guess Mac is now there as well thanks to using BSD Unix as the O/S and Apple sticking to what they're realy good at - killer UIs.

hope I didn't crush any toes here Next Page
Pages: [1]   Go Up