INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with MC15 -> MC16  (Read 1546 times)

zuiko

• Recent member
Problems with MC15 -> MC16
« on: March 18, 2011, 10:09:48 pm »

I installed MC16 and reimported my audio files into a new library with a single import instead of trying to upgrade the MC15 library.

1) The tags are all different than they are in MC15. I have seen this once before when I copied my files to a portable device. I think this is because MC16 is reading a different version of the ID3 tags than MC15 was. How do I resolve this (other than by manually retagging every file of course)? How do I get the new tags in sync with the old ones? I found a tag editing application that can sync the ID3V1 and ID3V2 overwriting one or the other so that should take care of this problem I think.

2) I can't play any of the files that were imported. I get the same error you get when the file you are trying to play has been deleted or moved on all of them. The file paths all start with (Install Drive) instead of a physical drive letter for some reason, not sure if that has anything to do with the problem or not. MC16 is installed on the same drive the files are located on. If I rerun the import it finds all the files that it already imported and changes nothing. I still can't play back any of the files in MC16.

3) A lot of my MP3s are getting imported as documents for some strange reason instead of audio files. Out of 5600 files now only 48 are considered audio by MC16. The rest are considered documents. Due to #2 they don't play from either area. They play fine in WMP and the tags are readable by WMP, explorer, and other applications. No problems in MC15 either. No idea why this is happening.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
Re: Problems with MC15 -> MC16
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 02:10:37 am »

1) The ID3 tag reader has not changed significantly in MC16. If you create a new library in MC15 you should see the same behavior as with MC16. To understand why the tags are not read as expected more information is needed. In general, ID3v2 tags have a preference over ID3v1 if both versions exist in the files. By default MC writes both and keeps them synced, except that ID3v1 can store only a few tags and has serious limitations (e.g. maximum length, restricted genres, no UTF character encoding support).

2) The "Install Drive" location is used with the Portable Install option. Did you actually select the Portable option in the MC16 installer? A Portable installation has some limitations, though "files do not play" is not supposed to be one of them. Once again, more information would be needed to understand your problem.

3) This would indicate that the files were not detected as MP3 audio files during the import. That is very odd. What happens if you simply drag and drop a couple of new (unimported) MP3 files to the Playing Now list? You can create copies of some existing files to a new location to test this. Can you play them?
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

zuiko

• Recent member
Re: Problems with MC15 -> MC16
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 11:45:10 am »

2) The "Install Drive" location is used with the Portable Install option. Did you actually select the Portable option in the MC16 installer? A Portable installation has some limitations, though "files do not play" is not supposed to be one of them. Once again, more information would be needed to understand your problem.

This is a normal install not portable.

3) This would indicate that the files were not detected as MP3 audio files during the import. That is very odd. What happens if you simply drag and drop a couple of new (unimported) MP3 files to the Playing Now list? You can create copies of some existing files to a new location to test this. Can you play them?

I get the same error. "Media Center encountered some errors while trying to play the last several files. Make sure that the path in your media library points to the right location."

OK so I uninstalled MC16 and checked "remove library", then reinstalled. Everything seems to work now. One odd thing that is different this time is it automatically seemed to grab the MC15 library without asking me. All the files were there without reimporting anything and the panes etc moved over from MC15. But everything is under audio now and the paths are absolute. The files play back now. If I run the import process on the folder it doesn't make any changes to the library.
Pages: [1]   Go Up