INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Customizing column order  (Read 1295 times)

skylarplane

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Customizing column order
« on: March 21, 2011, 05:09:45 pm »

Where do I find the correct drop down on how I want my columns listed from left to right.

Skylar

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Customizing column order
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 05:19:22 pm »

Where do I find the correct drop down on how I want my columns listed from left to right.

Customize the view, and/or drag the column headers to the order you want.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Customizing column order
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 10:27:30 pm »

Customize the view

You cannot edit the columns for details view in the Customize View dialog anymore, which is annoying.  To pick which columns are visible you use either the View header dropdown button (where it says "Panes" at the top in a panes-type view) or right click on the column headers themselves.  Both present a LONG list of columns to choose from, and you add checkmarks next to the ones you want.  If you use the "right-click on the column header" method to activate a new column, it places the column in the "order" where you right clicked (which is a nice touch).  And, to re-order them once they appear, you drag the column headers.

This is annoying in a view with lots of columns, where you might want to move one or more columns a great horizontal distance.  Before, you could move groups of columns up and down at once by multi-selecting them in the Customize View dialog.  The new mechanism is fiddly and can be very tough to manage on a trackpad or trackpoint input device.

I wish they'd bring the Details Pane manager widget back and just hide it under a "Edit details columns" button in the Customize View dialog.  The drop-down and drag columns method is nicely designed and works well for a "quick fix" but if you really want to add and organize a bunch of columns, it is tiresome to deal with, and the old method was much slicker.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 11:17:59 pm »

You cannot edit the columns for details view in the Customize View dialog anymore

Oops, I didn't know that.  Thanks for the correction.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

skylarplane

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 11:20:33 am »

Thanks guys for your help.  Skylar
Pages: [1]   Go Up