INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "The server is perparing this file. Please try again in a few minute"  (Read 1679 times)

nickstorm

• Recent member

I've been using a D-Link media player with my home theater and Media Center for a couple of years now.  Aside from the occasional hiccup (like MC losing settings), it has always worked fine.

Today, I fired up the Library Server, and installed Gizmo on my Droid.  Took about 5 minutes to get it working.  Ditto for using WebPlay and WebRemote (though I did manage to scare the crap out of the wife when the server started blaring Aerosmith on its' own, in an otherwise deserted house).

The problem is this:  I sit down to watch a show I'd downloaded and moved onto the media server, and I get this freaking message on every single video I try to play.  I made zero changes to the DLNA server, and I even disabled the Library Server, in an effort to get rid of the message, and watch my vids.  I've stopped and restarted MC several times, and rebooted the D-Link, to no avail.  Same message.  I can't tell if MC is doing this in the background, and if so how to stop it - converting 2 TB of videos could take awhile, and I don't need them converted, anyway - running on a wired 1gb LAN.

How do I make it stop converting, or doing whatever it is doing in the background?  At this point, I'm about ready to reinstall MC and see what that does.

Thanks

Raphoune

• Junior Woodchuck

Hi Nick.

I had the same message yesterday, trying to play some videos with Windows Media Player and a set-top box provided by my ISP. It was just a problem of conversion settings (on-the-fly conversion, just before the video is streamed... I don't think MC will duplicate all your files though it might keep some kind of cache...). The default was MPEG4 (or something like that) and I had to change it to MPEG high bandwidth. Maybe the default has changed recently and the new one is not compatible with your player ?

Raph

dNj

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I might be a porcupine.

Raph, Thanks for the tip. It fixed my issue for only one night. The next night I was back to ''the server is preparing this file." This has been an issue since MC15. With 15 I switched from Generic DLNA to PS3 to resolve this issue. Now with MC16 both generic and PS3 are giving me this message. Prior, I hadn't made any changes to the media network settings within MC. Literally, it worked fine one night then the next night I started getting the error message. At this point streaming across my network is a no go. Gizmo apps works fine on my Nexus One. Can someone from JRiver please respond to this post.

Thanks in advance
Pages: [1]   Go Up