INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request: Scheduling radio playback  (Read 2168 times)

Matt22

• Recent member
Feature Request: Scheduling radio playback
« on: April 15, 2011, 06:18:39 pm »

I was just wondering, but is there a way to set J River up so that it'll play a specified added radio station (under Connected Media) at a specified day and time? If not then I'm definitely requesting this feature.

This would be really handy so not only can you wake up to your favourite breakfast radio show, but you can also set it so you don't miss any of your favourite radio shows at all. For instance, you could be working away on your computer and completely forget the time and miss your favourite radio show. However, with this feature...you can completely forget the time but as long as you set it up...the radio station of your favourite radio show will automatically start playing at the specified time so you can catch it from the start.  :)

Matt22

• Recent member
Re: Feature Request: Waking up to the radio.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 05:57:03 am »

Sorry to bump this but it hasn't had any replies since I posted it, and I was just wondering what the official stance on this feature request was?

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 06:33:21 am »

Have a look at the options available to you in the tree under "Services and Plugins > Scheduler"

"Play" > "Search Results" would seem to be the choice you'd want, but that seems to not be working at the moment. Perhaps add your station to a playlist on its own and schedule playback that way?

Try it out and let us know how it goes.

-marko.

Matt22

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 07:45:39 am »

Yeah, I tried under Scheduler which is why I posted the feature request as the scheduler won't play connected media.

Also, I tried making a playlist but I can't seem to add any connected media.

I suppose to narrow it down, what I'm asking for is to be able to add the connected media to the scheduler.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 10:19:05 am »

There are two ways you can achieve this at the moment:

1. Add the streams you have in connected media to your library, and then schedule their playback using the scheduler.

or,

2. Use the scheduler to begin playback of the stream using the command line option.

The program will be MC16.exe
The arguments will be: /Play Stream URL

For example, I tested using the argument: /Play http://network.absoluteradio.co.uk/core/audio/wmp/live.asx?service=vrbb
This is not a stream that I have in my library anywhere, and it worked out just fine.

Regards,
-marko.

Matt22

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 12:28:54 pm »

Option one is the one I need to get working as it has to be scheduled rather than manual. But I had a go and I've no idea how to do it tbh. Any chance you could do a step by step please?

Edit: nvm. I figured it out. But now I have a question...how many simultanious streams can you record? Because most of the shows overlap and clash.

Matt22

• Recent member
Re: Feature Request: Scheduling radio playback
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 07:10:30 pm »

Seems like I don't have it after all....

It just finished recording a 4hr stream at this url http://www.fm104.ie/boxtube/ and it won't play the file back to me. Its also only 29.3kb so something went wrong somewhere...

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 01:36:02 am »

OK, so, you are now moving onto recording a stream via scheduler, rather than simply scheduling playback, which is what you originally asked for help with.

The direct url for the FM104 stream is: http://media2.vistatec.ie/FM104

To add that to your library, use "File > Open URL" and paste the above url in the box provided. Explore the basic options provided.
One of the options is to record the stream, but it does not work, for me, MC merely recreates the .asx file and leaves it at that. I believe that the "Record" option will only work with mp3 streams, though I may be wrong... it has been known ;)

A couple of things you could try that work for me here are:
Go to "Player > Playback Options" and set the output mode for audio to "Disk writer". You will not hear playback, but MC will save the stream to a wav file (note, this file will get big, quickly!) at "C:\Music\Disk Writer".

Or check out your options under "Tools > Advanced Tools > Record Sound"
My X-Fi has a "What U Hear" channel that allows MC to record whatever is coming out of the speakers, you may have a similar option.

I have to cut you loose there with regards to recording as I have zero experience with it, and I'm not certain how much input JRiver will give due to the shady grey area surrounding stream recording and copyright issues.

Good luck,
-marko

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 01:45:05 am »

matt22, your favorite radio shows do not provide any podcasts that you can use instead ? MC has a podcast download feature..
MT5FR

Matt22

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 09:28:17 am »

Tried that url last night but it didn't record the stream successfully. Also, as to the podcast idea. I'm subscribed to 12 right now so I know about the podcast feature.

However, the streams I want to either start playing or recording automatically on a schedule is because these stations either have a weird podcast format that doesn't let me subscribe with J River like these http://www.fm104.ie/music/podcasts.aspx or I just can't get a podcast url like these ones http://media.todayfm.com/podcasts/popup and http://media.spin1038.com/ (plus the 103.8 podcasts haven't been updated it forever as well so there's another reason).

Also to add, the Today FM stream recorded only 6 minutes and Spin 103.8 only recorded 12 minutes and the FM 104 streams that downloaded were both broken.
Pages: [1]   Go Up