INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEW FEATURE: Read cover art from various files  (Read 2199 times)

instigator

• Junior Woodchuck
NEW FEATURE: Read cover art from various files
« on: March 24, 2011, 08:22:06 pm »

Hi, I'm a user of MC for years, and I like to see the posibility of telling the program from what file can read the cover art. I save my music by albums, and every folder I keep 2 images: folder.jpg (200x200) and front(a bigger image). So I realized that MC can read the cover from the tag of the audio file. But I don't like save a huge image inside the audio file.
Also I realized that MC can read from the folder.jpg. And it looks well when the album view use small thumbnails. But in Theater Mode, or the Now Playing panel, i like to MC can make use of the huge file. So it would be nice, if in options, the user can decide where MC read the cover for a small and a big image.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: NEW FEATURE: Read cover art from various files
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 09:24:03 pm »

The program creates small, medium and large thumbnails from the cover art it finds. I don't know the sizes or exactly how those thumbnails are used, but I wouldn't be surprised if the the large one is 200 x 200. So if the original image is that size, not only is no larger original image available where it's needed (as you've discovered), the quality of your thumbnails is not as good as it could be.

I suggest you replace your folder.jpg with copies of the larger image files. If those vary a lot in size, consider resizing them all to something appropriate for near-full-screen display, like 800 x 800. Once that's done, use the Rebuild thumbnail command to update the thumbnail database.

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 05:50:10 am »

Yes. Delete the folder.jpg's. Import all the front.jpg, and use the Rename tool in MC, and rename them to folder.jpg. Rebuild the images, and MC handles the rest. There is as far as I know, not a single good use of a physical, smaller cover image.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

instigator

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 04:36:00 pm »

The program creates small, medium and large thumbnails from the cover art it finds. I don't know the sizes or exactly how those thumbnails are used, but I wouldn't be surprised if the the large one is 200 x 200. So if the original image is that size, not only is no larger original image available where it's needed (as you've discovered), the quality of your thumbnails is not as good as it could be.

I suggest you replace your folder.jpg with copies of the larger image files. If those vary a lot in size, consider resizing them all to something appropriate for near-full-screen display, like 800 x 800. Once that's done, use the Rebuild thumbnail command to update the thumbnail database.
Lets see... Let me if I'm understand
MC in first place try to read the CoverArt from the tag?
And only if there's no image in the tag, read from a file named folder.jpg (in the same folder that the songs)?
Because if it does it, I don't understand why in my MC even if there are a file named folder.jpg and I use the Rebuild thumbnail command nothing happens.

rick.ca

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 06:57:25 pm »

MC in first place try to read the CoverArt from the tag?

No. I'm sure it looks first in the location set in Options.

I don't understand why in my MC even if there are a file named folder.jpg and I use the Rebuild thumbnail command nothing happens.

What do you mean "nothing happens"? If you ask it to rebuild a thumbnail using the same image it previously built the thumbnail for, you're not going to see any difference. Have you tried replacing one of your tiny folder.jpg's with a larger image and then rebuilding the thumbnail?

instigator

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 11:25:10 am »

What do you mean "nothing happens"? If you ask it to rebuild a thumbnail using the same image it previously built the thumbnail for, you're not going to see any difference.
I mean that if the audio files has no images in the tag, but in the location folder, exist the folder.jpg, and I run the "Rebuild Thumbnail", still the cover art for the album is blank.
Have you tried replacing one of your tiny folder.jpg's with a larger image and then rebuilding the thumbnail?
Yeah, well I'm not stupid, MC doesn't read it.

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 04:33:19 pm »

Yeah, well I'm not stupid, MC doesn't read it

MC not finding cover art is not the same as it not rebuilding a thumbnail for cover art it already has associated with the file. What is your option setting for cover art location? What happens when you Cover Art>Quick Find...? If it doesn't work, try Remove cover art first. It might also help to display [Image File] in the view you're working with—so you can see what image is being associated (or not) with the file.

Fabricio

• No one has patience with me.
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 06:26:30 pm »

rick.ca,

Sorry, i sent a message for you. I do not know if it sent. Please, look.

Regards,

Fabricio, from Brazil

I dont speak english.
Pages: [1]   Go Up