INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Play from memory glitches  (Read 1555 times)

mramsden

• Recent member
Play from memory glitches
« on: April 02, 2011, 11:47:10 pm »

Version 16 xxx .60 (today's) ...

Using Win7 64bit; a gigabyte H76 chipset mb with i5 chip; 8 GB memory; 80 GB intel SSD...

This is with playing a HD track (24/96: Jarrett Koln concert, first track: is about 500+ MB)

I have it configured with Wasapi (event or not) and with Plays from memory, HD track glitches, pauses, stutters.  There's a message about buffering, gets up to about 52% then starts playing ... then starts to stutter about about 10s in.

I tried increasing the pre-buffer to 10s instead of default 6, and that seemed to fix it, but if I then click mid track, it throws up "buffering" and then starts stuttering badly when it starts to play.

Changed to turn off < Play from Memory > and I have no trouble.  On a smaller track (eg the last track is 120MB) this doesn't seem to happen if with <play from mem> on.

I would have though playing from memory would work better... I presume this is something to do with the 256MB max size of the memory buffer?

Also... the file isn't on the machine, it's on a Synology Server .... so presumably isn't even on the SSD?

Presumably the large file is being transferred and trying to play at the same time?

I would have thought that with 8GB of memory, it would transfer the whole thing to memory and that it would work better ...

In this case, turning OFF plays from memory seems to be best.

So ... where IS plays from memory useful? I'd have thought pulling a file off a remote server would make play from memory better?

..Mike

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Play from memory glitches
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 11:51:30 pm »

hmmmm.  I can play 24-192 from memory with only 2GB of ram without any issues whatsoever.

I would look to something other than MC or your RAM.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

mramsden

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 11:56:34 pm »

< 2 GB memory >

Are your files local or on a server?

666JackTheKnife666

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 01:38:22 am »

Let me just slide in another request for allowing the user to determine the amount of ram for the buffer.
for those of us that have lot's of ram being able to specify the amount of ram for the buffer would be appreciated.
thank you.

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 01:40:12 am »

Local.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva
Pages: [1]   Go Up