INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving Folders  (Read 1711 times)

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
Moving Folders
« on: April 15, 2011, 01:29:12 pm »

I am running out of room on my primary music drive.  I would like to move several large folders to another drive.  Can this be done within MC or do I need to do it manually?

Tunetyme

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Moving Folders
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 02:30:43 pm »

You can do that.

Right click on the files to move -> Library Tools -> Rename, Move & Copy Files

Then play around with the options to get the files to the new location, making sure you use the 'Rename (move files...)' option.  This will also ensure the library points to the new location.

The downside is that any folder.jpg cover art will get left behind so you may have to manually tidy up.

Good luck and perhaps test with a few files first to make sure the options are working as you want.

rick.ca

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 04:38:35 pm »

The downside is that any folder.jpg cover art will get left behind so you may have to manually tidy up.

To avoid this, import images in your audio folders and include them in a view where the primary Category is the root File Path of the folders you want to move. Selecting a folder will then include all the audio and image files in it and it's sub-folders. Then use a Find & Replace operation (in the Rename, Move & Copy Files dialog) to change the root File Path (which might just be the drive) of the selected files.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 04:51:14 pm »

Or just move the folders outside MC and apply the changes "virtually" to the database. The RM&CF tool has the "Update database to point to new location (no file rename move or copy)" option especially for that purpose.

To avoid the auto-importer kicking in in the middle of the process it might be good to disable the "Run auto-import in background" setting before proceeding.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

tunetyme

• Galactic Citizen
  • Have tunes will travel
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 03:50:11 pm »

Thanks for all the advice.  I decided to move them under windows then sort by filename and highlight those files moved and do a find F:\ and replace D:\.  It worked like a champ.
Pages: [1]   Go Up