INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WD TV Live: Videos don't play, Audio Now Playing doesn't show...  (Read 4290 times)

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
WD TV Live: Videos don't play, Audio Now Playing doesn't show...
« on: February 27, 2011, 11:03:49 am »

I've just upgraded to MC16 from MC15, and unfortunately I've uninstalled MC15 - I didn't test MC16 thoroughly enough.  :-[  But am now going to reinstall MC15 and attempt to restore its directories from a backup.

Anyway, the problem is that my WD TV Live doesn't seem to be cooperating with MC16.  It all worked last weekend with MC15, but now doesn't.

It will play audio that I send to it and it also plays the audio of any video that I send to it. That was the basis of my "testing", I thought it was all working.  But I hadn't actually switched the TV on to see what the WD TV was displaying.

Regardless of whether it's audio or video, the WD TV Live remains at its top level menu. It doesn't go into Now Playing for audio and it doesn't actually play video.

I am using Plugplayer on an iPad but to eliminate this, I also tried controlling the WD TV Live from within MC itself by selecting the WD TV Lice as a zone under Playing Now, but it has the same symptoms.

There have been no firmware upgrades to the WD TV Live in the last week.

csimon

Re: WD TV Live: Videos don't play, Audi Now Playing doesn't show...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 11:36:33 am »

More info:

I have reinstalled MC15 and as expected it controls the WD TV Live perfectly - audio files bring up the Now Playing screen on the box, and videos actually play.  Going back to MC16 produces the broken behaviour.

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 12:05:44 pm »

I had the same problems with my blu-ray player, but started of with a new Media Library profile to fix it. A bit anoying to recreate the views, but solved the problem at least, so might be worth a try for you as well.
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

csimon

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 04:19:18 pm »

Do you mean recreate the DLNA Server profile, i.e. add another Server to the list and set up the views again?

zirum

• Galactic Citizen
  • still learning.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 05:05:47 pm »

Yupp!
Note to myself: Read, think, write - Read, think, write - think, read, write - think, write, read - think, write, read... Aahhw, i always mess that up...

csimon

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 12:19:23 pm »

I'm afraid it didn't work for me.  I created a new DLNA server and set up all the views again, and deleted the old server.  But I get the same symptoms.  The WD TV Live does not go to the Now Playing screen for audio, and for video only the audio plays.

Is there anyone who has got a WD TV Live working with MC16?

csimon

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 02:35:40 pm »

(Bump)

I've downloaded the latest release 16.0.55 but it still exhibits the same problems.

Has anyone got MC16 working with a WD TV Live?

helpme

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2011, 10:41:15 pm »

I have only tested playing video and selecting it from the WD TV Live.

Most videos play OK if i have conversion off. I would like to understand how to turn conversion on for those files that need it. (When i selected "Convert Unsupported Formats" there was conversion and downgrading of a lot of files that did not need conversion.

Also what is the usage of all of the options in the advanced menu ?

csimon

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 05:30:09 am »

Would you mind testing it out using MC as the DLNA controller?  The WDTV should appear as a zone, can you try sending a music file to it and see if the WDTV displays the Now Playing screen, and then send a video and see if the WDTV plays it.

Your own questions - Converted Unsupported Formats should indeed only convert when necessary.  There is a problem in communication between MC and the WDTV if all fiels are converted.

Very rarely will any of the Advanced Menu options be needed, in a lot of cases it's to get around bugs and other incompatibility problems with various devices.  Which ones are you having trouble with understanding what they're for?  It's a bit out-of-date, but here is an explanation of some of the items:  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/UPnP_Server

csimon

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 01:11:19 pm »

I have installed build 68 (sneakily found from another thread!) but the problem remains.

Can the J River team please comment?

csimon

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 11:43:35 am »

(bump)

Still not working in the latest build, 60.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: WD TV Live: Videos don't play, Audio Now Playing doesn't show...
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 05:54:21 pm »

Have you tried updating the WD firmware?

chriswatson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 06:06:56 pm »

I'm able to get the WDTVLive(using the latest firmware) partially working on .60. I am just using the "Generic DLNA" profile with no changes. It works for most of my audio out of the box. I do have some some songs it's not working on that I suspect it's a problem with not having the right rendering engine configured for the file type. Some of my video files will play the audio but I can't see any video. Perhaps a rendering issue?

csimon

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 04:15:25 am »

Have you tried updating the WD firmware?
I always keep it updated, it detects and downloads new firmware on power up.  However I have actually also downloaded and reinstalled the 6 previous firmwares going over the last couple of years, but this hasn't had any effect.

csimon

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 04:18:18 am »

I'm able to get the WDTVLive(using the latest firmware) partially working on .60. I am just using the "Generic DLNA" profile with no changes. It works for most of my audio out of the box. I do have some some songs it's not working on that I suspect it's a problem with not having the right rendering engine configured for the file type. Some of my video files will play the audio but I can't see any video. Perhaps a rendering issue?
When you say it "works for most audio", does it actually display the Now Playing screen and are you sending the audio to it from another device or are you using the WDTV's own interface to browse the server and select files to play?

When you say that some video files play the audio but not the video (which is the symptom I'm seeing), do you mean that there are some video files that do actually work?  If so, what file types are these?  My videos are all .avi, encoded in xVid and MP3.

[Edit] Ah, I see from your reply at http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=63397.new;topicseen#new that you are idneed seeing the same symptoms as me.  Audio files do not display the Now Playing screen, Video files play the audio but not the video.

csimon

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 06:59:25 am »

For clarification, I've just run another complete test now and these are the results.

I've updated the WD TV Live with the latest firmware (I had settled on a version 2 generations old because of perceived stability problems - it would reboot every now and then and I found an old version that was more stable), but it's now running on the latest release.

Using MC16 as the DLNA server, I can browse the server from the WD TV and both audio and video play perfectly. The Now Playing screen appears for audio, and videos actually play.

However, using MC to control the WD TV (via a Zone) doesn't work.  Audio files play but don't display the Now Playing screen, and the same video files only play audio and the actual video is not displayed.  This also happens when using PlugPlayer as a DLNA controller.

Using MC15 as the DLNA server, everything works perfectly.

So I would suggest there may be a problem with the DLNA controller functionality in MC16.  I know there has been a shift to DLNA v2 which the WD TV may or may not recognise and/or is sending out false declaritive information so perhaps this is the problem.

This is the huge issue with DLNA isn't it!  It seems perverse that if there's a fault with a device then it's the other device that has to work to get around it!  But at this moment in time, we don't yet know which end is the problem.

csimon

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 05:32:26 pm »

With build 72, this issue now seems to have been resolved!  I don't know why, there doesn't appear to be anything in the release notes that could have anything to do with this problem.

chriswatson

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 07:30:23 am »

DLNA is working for me too in .72
Pages: [1]   Go Up