INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Error downloading MP3 Encoder.  (Read 757 times)

MaxDaddy

Error downloading MP3 Encoder.
« on: June 04, 2002, 07:14:42 pm »

I tried with MJ version 7, and now today with version 8.  I cannot seem to download the MP3 Encoder for MJ.  When I go to the Encoding options and try to change from MWA to MP3, a pop-up asks if I wish to download and install the MP3 encoder.  When I give it the OK, the very first time it trys to download, and shows a progress window and everything seems find.  But when I select it again, it just asks me to download it again.

When I close MJ and restart it, and then try to download it again (since it asks, and will not give me MP3 if I say "cancel"), then I get an error message:

"Package Installer"
"invalid package file.  Cannot continue."
[OK]

When I hit OK (and it's really not too OK), it gives me another pop-up with the C: path to the downloaded package in the IE5 temporary Internet files location (enc_mp3.mjp).

Hitting OK again, I get no other pop-ups.  I cannot seem to get past this.  I haven't seen this issue before, so I suspect I'm botching something.

Help?

Thanks,
MaxDaddy

MaxDaddy

RE:Error downloading MP3 Encoder.
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2002, 07:35:41 pm »

OK, I found a few others with the problem on the TalkBack.  I went to the plug-ins page of the web site and clicked on the "Download of v.8" MP3 link and got the same messages.  Perhaps it's because it has already choked?  Could it be some security thing of running a package from the \Temporary Internet Files\ folder of my Win2000 machine?

Thanks,
- MaxDaddy

MaxDaddy

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2002, 08:15:18 pm »

I'm usually one to talk to myself, but rarely do I answer myself, so that still makes me OK, right?

I have a work-around for those other folks (about 14 of you) who have also reported this problem:

Download this file (not by clicking on it, but by explicitly saving it to your hard drive):

http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/mj_data/plugins/enc_mp3.mjp

Now open it in Windows' Notepad.

It will look like this in Notepad (though it might have [] shapes instead of linebreaks, but don't think about it, because it's not important):

[Package]
Name=MP3 Encoder
Action=UNZIPDIR
Version=2.0.48
URL=http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/mj_data/plugins/enc_mp3.zip

[Action]
File1=*.*
File1Action1=COPY_PLUGINDIR
File2=enc_mp3.dll
File2Action1=REGISTER

Now, copy the URL from after the "=".

Paste what you copied into your browser and go there.  It should (you hope) ask you if you want to save the file.  You do want to save it.  Save it to C:\TEMP (or similar).

Then, erase the URL from after the "=", and put in its place the path and name for the file (c:\TEMP\enc_mp3.zip, in my example), so that it looks similar to this:

[Package]
Name=MP3 Encoder
Action=UNZIPDIR
Version=2.0.48
URL=C:\TEMP\enc_mp3.zip

[Action]
File1=*.*
File1Action1=COPY_PLUGINDIR
File2=enc_mp3.dll
File2Action1=REGISTER

Save the enc_mp3.mjp file, and then double-click it.  within a second it should reply that the package has been installed sucessfully.  It's a wonderful thing.

I wish you great luck with it,
- MaxDaddy

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2002, 05:17:31 am »

Could be a browser problem.  

Did you try with IE?
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox
Pages: [1]   Go Up