INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Did you play with Joe?  (Read 1881 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
Did you play with Joe?
« on: June 04, 2002, 03:32:43 pm »

Judging from some of the movie titles, there must have been a few GI Joe's under the tree.  Come clean.  Did you have a GI Joe?  Maybe we can get their mailing list.

And Shelly?  Was it Barbie?  Or was it Joe?

Tullio?
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
RE:Did you play with Joe?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2002, 03:55:46 pm »

I never had a G.I. Joe

I Did have Alot Of Green Army Men, And Would Setup Battles That Would Take Hours To Create Bunkers Hills And Fox Holes.

We Would Take Turns Like Chess Killing The Other Side.

Note: For Anyone With Kids, Do Not Allow Your Kid To Go To School And Point A Finger And Say Bang Bang. Some Kid Was Just Kicked Out Of School For That. It Seems Not Only Guns Are Not Allowed On School Grounds, But You Can Not Make The "Bang Bang" Sound and Point your Finger In This Liberal School System We Call Public School.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

sekim

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2002, 03:58:06 pm »

I had the G.I. Joe with the 'Kung Fu Grip'. My sisters had Barbies. Well.....

Listening to: 'Intro / Sweet Jane' from 'Rock N Roll Animal' by 'Lou Reed' on Media Jukebox

JimH

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2002, 04:03:56 pm »

OK, here's a story.

Jane Goodall, who is now about 65, has studied chimpanzees since she was about 25.  She's my #1 hero since Jacques Cousteau died.  She spends her time travelling now, to try to alert people to the fact that animals are disappearing at an alarming rate from wild places like Africa.

Jane wrote about how chimpanzees sort out dominance -- something like the pecking order that chickens use.  There is a lot of threatening that goes on, and they try to keep the real bloodshed to a minimum.

One of the chimps she studied (start thinking politics here) was not the strongest or the brightest of the group, but he managed to climb to the top by the following strategy.

Because the chimps often used branches, dragged across the ground at a run, to threaten others, this chimp began to experiement.  He found that he could use, to his advantage, an empty fuel can from Jane's camp, bumping along the ground, making a hell of a racket.  Even better, two cans.

He won.  He became the top chimp.

So threatening behavior?  Not a problem.  Happens all the time.  Let's worry about real behavior.

And let's not leave empty cans about the camp.
Jim Hillegass

Trelane

• World Citizen
  • Destroy him, my robots.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2002, 04:08:48 pm »

I had a lot of plastic army men and oodles of Ghostbusters toys (remeber the proton pack with the yellow nerf noodle? Next Page).

King: there was a kid at one of the local schools who was suspended for having finger nail clippers.

sekim

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2002, 04:37:39 pm »

>>>> an empty fuel can <<<<

My buddy, the music nut, has a great story about one of these.

Mike, my friend, has a cabin up in the Iron Range area. Years ago he and some friends were sitting around the campfire drinking beer and shooting the breeze. Somehow, one the guys found an empty Coleman fuel can sitting nearby and decided to throw it in the fire.

Unfortunatly, one of the other guys was sitting in a direct line from the cap end of the can. Mike, reacting just a second to late shouted' NOOOOOOO !!!' Kind of in slow motion as he puts it.

The can had a seismic reaction to the flames and heat. The guy in the line of fire, so to speak, was knocked completly out of the lawn chair he was sitting in. In fact, he actually snapped the back of the chair off. Rushing over to see if he was still alive, they found he was OK. Aside from the fact that he no longer had any eyebrows or 8 hour shadow left on his face.

After the near death experience, the laughter was rampant. Even the victim of this incidence had uncontrollable laughter I guess. You should see the way he tells it. The animosity is hilarious. Next Page

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2002, 05:10:18 pm »

So Are You Saying Your The Top Chimp? And You Like Fire?

I Watched Many Hours Of Jane Goodall And Jacques Cousteau's Adventures Years Ago And Since I Watch Discovery, TLC And Animal Plaint All The Time.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

sekim

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2002, 05:18:32 pm »

Nope. This happened long before I met this guy. Although, there are times when we have been up there when chimps would have been more intelligent. Must be a guy thing. Get as stupid as possible, and survive to tell about it.

Can't wait for the first trip up there this year.

shelly

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2002, 05:22:43 pm »

Well, Jim, I did like playing with Joe, but he wasn't a GI Next Page
Actually, since GI Joe didn't have a hockey stick or a saddle, I was quite content with Barbie.  I don't remember having any type of aggressive or male-oriented type of toys, but never had a lack of dolls, tea sets, play ovens, etc.   Not withstanding a good fight on the hockey rink, I have a great distaste for watching any kind of violence.  Probably spent too much time dressing Barbie.  

GOOOOOOO WINGSSSSSSSS

Shelly

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2002, 04:39:59 am »

>> I did like playing with Joe, but he wasn't a GI
Funny
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jazzwolf

• World Citizen
  • Jazz, Classic Rock, Classic 70's NY Salsa
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2002, 04:50:00 am »

I never really had a G.I. Joe but I remember a kid who used to have a big collection. I never cared for war toys. I used to enjoy putting together and painting the Aurora Model Kits like Superman, Batman, Dracula, Wolfman etc. That was fun and it felt great when you had one done perfectly.
It's alright now, I learned my lesson well, you see you can't please everyone, so you've got to please yourself - Rick Nelson

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2002, 05:45:55 am »

I didn't have many GI Joes. The ones I did have met horrible fates.

You ever watch Toy Story? Remember Sid?

I was Sid. Next Page I always had a Lego type of mindset, and I brought that mindset with me in my interaction with my action figures.

I nearly weep now when I think of all of those original Star Wars toys that were rendered completely worthless by my mad scientist ways...

JimH

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2002, 06:07:18 am »

Doof,
> I didn't have many GI Joes. The ones I did have met horrible fates.

I knew it would come to this.  I hope you're getting your thrills now in a more mature manner, say by blowing up toy cars and trucks.

http://spookyworld.dnsalias.com/grittruck/allnews
Jim Hillegass

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2002, 06:19:37 am »

Actually I get all of my thrills from diving now. Next Page

I'm really not a violent person. I'm not opposed to violence and it doesn't bother me to the same degree it does other people, but I myself am not violent.

I didn't blow them up or anything... I just figured if a person was supposed to be horribly burned in a fire so as to later come back as a cyborg, then he had to actually be burned in a fire before I could rebuild him... Next Page

peleton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2002, 07:40:35 am »

I never had a GI Joe, in fact I don't think there were many around at all. (I don't remember any of my mates having any.)

-Now that I think about it the cartoon is not shown here in Austalia, and in general "military toys" are really not all that popular here.

I did however make a few model planes(military), and some balsa wood "flight worthy" planes.

But in general I was a LEGO kid.

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2002, 08:15:38 am »

Showing my age - I had those lead soldiers from the UK. All the different regimental colors and uniforms. Right out of Kipling. No Gunga Din, however.

Did do the Cherry Bomb/M80 bit with the plastic GIs and tanks a little later on. Liberated my younger brother's toys for that purpose. He still reminds me of it.

HTH

Listening to: 'Adventures of Bugs Hunter' from 'The Solar-myth Approach Volume 1' by 'Sun Ra and His Intergalactic Arkestra' on Media Jukebox

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2002, 09:05:19 am »

New G.I. Joe's For 2002

Jimmy Doolittle

Jimmy Doolittle lead the "Raid Over Tokyo" on April 18, 1942, a brave mission which was America's first strike against the Japanese after the attack on Pearl Harbor. He was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for demonstrating "conscious gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life above and beyond the call of duty.  

Vietnam Door Gunner

A tribute to those workhorse of the air cavalry during the Vietnam War who transported materials and troops to and from the hot spots in the region
Fayetteville, NC, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up