INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mach vs JRiver  (Read 2621 times)

rexh

Mach vs JRiver
« on: February 21, 2012, 12:25:48 pm »

I have read a bit on the post but I am still a little unsure as to how this system work.  With Mach 2 I believe they write specific code to bypass the kernel and all the internal sound processors.  I believe they then Pull the data out of the files.  Does purchasing a download of the JRiver program also alter the code so I am bypassing all the internal processors and computer Kernel.  Or, am I just trying to go into the selectable options and turn on and off devices to route my data with the least alteration possible.  In other words, Can I build a mac mini with windows partition, SSD and Linear power supply and get the same quality of performance as a Mach 2? Thanks

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Mach vs JRiver
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 12:34:11 pm »

Ouch.... those are silly spendy.  Just get a standard mini if that is what you want.

If you are going to dedicate it to MC and media playback, just get a mini PC.

-patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 01:22:06 pm »

I have read a bit on the post but I am still a little unsure as to how this system work.  With Mach 2 I believe they write specific code to bypass the kernel and all the internal sound processors.  I believe they then Pull the data out of the files.  Does purchasing a download of the JRiver program also alter the code so I am bypassing all the internal processors and computer Kernel.  Or, am I just trying to go into the selectable options and turn on and off devices to route my data with the least alteration possible.  In other words, Can I build a mac mini with windows partition, SSD and Linear power supply and get the same quality of performance as a Mach 2?
Welcome to the forum.  Here's what is available in JRiver Media Center:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes

It doesn't get any better.

pcstockton

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 01:31:11 pm »

I totally forgot to answer the OP's main question.

Yes, J River has all of the standard methods to output bit-perfect audio, i.e. bypass anything bad in the OS.  You have choices of ASIO (assuming your device supports it), WASAPI (in its various flavors), Kernal Streaming etc.

Keep MC's internal volume at 100% when possible for best replay.

Cheers!
patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

rexh

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 07:42:56 pm »

In all the methods mentioned am I not streaming through the Kernel to the sound card, taking a 44.1 Khz signal, processing it into 48 khz, then having the sound card convert it back to 44.1 before sending it to my dac.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 09:51:22 pm »

In all the methods mentioned are I not streaming through the Kernel to the sound card, taking a 44.1 Khz signal, processing it into 48 khz, then having the sound card convert it back to 44.1 before sending it to my dac.

No. You asked questions and got good answers.

Bill

pcstockton

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 01:10:18 am »

In other words, Can I build a mac mini with windows partition, SSD and Linear power supply and get the same quality of performance as a Mach 2? Thanks
yes.  Sounds like a great path.
Pages: [1]   Go Up