INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Remote Access (Gizmo) Security  (Read 4692 times)

Johnny Stork

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Johnny Stork
Remote Access (Gizmo) Security
« on: February 22, 2012, 07:59:46 pm »

Is it possible to set something so that NOTHING can be changed, modified in any way (read only access) for both remote Gizmo or a remote MC client access? Other than a key, username and password, I want to be certain that NOTHING can be modified on the main media server or library, by remote access from either type of client.

Also, is there any way to have more than one level or remote access? One account with full admin privs, one with read-only but ONLY audio, maybe another with read-only and both Audio and Video. Or any combination etc?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Remote Access (Gizmo) Security
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 08:01:38 pm »

Authenticated clients are allowed to make changes.  You can turn this off per-client (Options > Media Network > Client options), but not on the server.

Someday we may add guest accounts for the server, but I don't know when that might be.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Johnny Stork

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Johnny Stork
Re: Remote Access (Gizmo) Security
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 09:11:05 pm »

Ok thanks. This is unfortunately a major security and (potential) library/damage risk which I certainly hope will be considered in the future. Certainly might be fine if the ONLY people accessing their libraries remotely are the admins/owners of the library. But I would also like to allow access to the rest of my family. However, allowing multiple users, kids, grandparents, or others with limited technical skills to access the system with full, write-access to a huge media server library, is just asking for problems. Eventually, someone will intentionally, or unintentionally, change something that they should not be permitted to change. JRiver is certainly an exceptional player/media-server, but much can still be improved, starting with secure, read-only remote access clients...IMHO. :)

Cheers :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up