INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to change Bit Rate and maintain Tag Info.  (Read 1035 times)

drc

• World Citizen
How to change Bit Rate and maintain Tag Info.
« on: May 05, 2011, 12:08:55 pm »

I'm looking for a quick, effective means to change the Bit Rate  (Batch) of my MP3 files.  I've noticed overtime I have several mp3 with different Bit Rates.  Normally, I use the preset Lame 192 setting.  But for items I download from Walmart has a different setting.

The Convert Tag in Media Center doesn't seem to change the Bit Rate but not to 192.   

I have a program I use (Power MP3 Converter) which will batch convert all MP3's to 192 but it wipes out all customized tags I've created., covers, Bio's, etc...

So I was hoping someone knew of a way to simply batch convert from 320 to 192 or from 96 to 192, but note delete the tag data.

Thanks

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to change Bit Rate and maintain Tag Info.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 04:01:17 pm »

Using custom command line settings, I'm sure you could configure MP3 encoder to do whatever you like. The files could also be replaced by files converted by an external encoder—in a way that preserves the tags. But, regardless of preserving tags, this doesn't seem like a sensible thing to do. As I understand it, any conversion will result in a decrease in quality. Obviously, decreasing the bit rate will do so. Increasing the bit rate will not improve the quality.

You might want to consider that if your preference changes over time, it will certainly be in the direction of better quality (especially since you're using the best player for quality!). I'm no audiophile, but it hasn't taken me long to view 192-bit MP3 as a bare minimum. I now strongly prefer FLAC, although 256-320 MP3 are acceptable as I usually can't tell the difference.
Pages: [1]   Go Up