INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues w/ email connectivity, can't "send"  (Read 2711 times)

asatch

Issues w/ email connectivity, can't "send"
« on: April 19, 2011, 03:25:27 pm »

Exactly how do I link "Send To" to my Gmail mail program that I'm using in all my browsers?  Brief instructions advise to go to "Default Programs" and associate email program, however in my Windows7,  neither Media Center15 or Media Jukebox14 show up in the pre-existing list of "Default Programs"  (neither does Gmail).  What am I missing??  How can I get email connectivity so I can send songs etc. from Media Center/Jukebox??  Thank  you.

Jimmy Z.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Issues w/ email connectivity, can't "send"
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 04:11:02 pm »

Emailing from inside Media Center will start your installed mail client.

If you only use web mail, you may not be able to use the feature.  One workaround is to install Thunderbird, and configure Thunderbird to look at your Gmail account.

This will give you a mail client that supports MAPI so programs like Media Center can send attachments.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 08:42:51 pm »

I posted this in the duplicate thread.  Pretty much the same as Matt said in this thread.

Quote from: MrC
The web-based interface to Gmail is just a web page.  It will never appear under "Default Programs".

To Send To, you need an email application (eg. a program such as Thunderbird, Outlook, Windows Mail, etc.) on your system.  These applications use the Windows MAPI interface, and MC can send to those.  You would configure your mail application to send via gmail's SMTP servers.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Lasse_Lus

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 12:57:42 am »

if you want to use "browser-mail" you may take a peak at this little beauty http://www.teslacore.it/wiki/index.php?title=DragDropUpload
..then you can drag the files directly from within MC into your web-gmail (firefox) as attachment  :)
MT5FR

asatch

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 02:04:38 am »

Thank you for the Thunderbird detail. Was able to get this going, however it did take some time due to exporting contacts from Gmail > Thunderbird.  However, users should know that withing the Thunderbird" "Tools" dropdown, > "Select Add-Ons"  and find and enable "Zindus" download. Once downloaded go back into "Tools" > Manage Add-ons > and check "Zindus" as default and then "Sync" with your Gmail account after adding your Gmail address and password- no smtp or imap stuff to deal with.   Very easy way to import all of your Gmail contacts. (I had 1400 and it only took 2 minutes. vs exporting messy .csv contact files. Will keep your contacts bidirectionally synced.  Other issue was how to stop Thunderbird from importing thousands of Gmail inbox messages every time you're on line.  Drill down on "Inbox" on left hand side of Thunderbird 3.1 mail app, and go to "Properties" Change settings to "Delete" all mail after (10) days, which essentially limits the Thunderbird client to being a mailer for MediaCenter.  Final step is to make sure you double back to "Default Programs" in Windows 7 and be sure to select and associated "Thunderbird" as the Default mail program.   So Media Center will see it. Will not affect using gmail as email default from within your browser.  I used latest Firefox 4.06 when I was setting up the above as it handles .XPI  Zindus file automatically. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up