INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WDLXTV Live Plus - cap video to 720p?  (Read 1355 times)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
WDLXTV Live Plus - cap video to 720p?
« on: June 27, 2011, 11:15:27 pm »

I am going to try to get MC streaming to my WDTV Live Plus w/ WDLXTV firmware over the long weekend. Only issue is that due to constrained bandwidth I need to limit video to 720p or less.  In other words anything under 720p to play back with no (or lossless) transcoding while anything over 720p get transcoded to 720p.

I am even willing to have multiple copies using stacks if needed.

Looking around in the options for transcoding I didn't see any obvious way to do this.  Am I missing something or am I asking the impossible?  Seems a natural use for stacks.

bob

• Administrator
Re: WDLXTV Live Plus - cap video to 720p?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 11:45:53 am »

If you choose MPEG2/DVD stream you are limiting the max resolution to 480 lines.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 08:24:55 pm »

If you choose MPEG2/DVD stream you are limiting the max resolution to 480 lines.

That is fine for DVD, but I want the 1080p content to be 720.

Right now I am leaving DVDs as .iso files (which the wdtv can treat as physical disks), and have 1080p content saved as 720p mp4 files.

Trying to go to a more unified setup using mc16. For all streaming content.  Upstairs where I have gb networking want it all to stay native res. 

My 'dream' is to just be able to choose the content and have mc16 intelligently handle based on device being used to watch.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2011, 10:50:08 am »

That is fine for DVD, but I want the 1080p content to be 720.

Right now I am leaving DVDs as .iso files (which the wdtv can treat as physical disks), and have 1080p content saved as 720p mp4 files.

Trying to go to a more unified setup using mc16. For all streaming content.  Upstairs where I have gb networking want it all to stay native res. 

My 'dream' is to just be able to choose the content and have mc16 intelligently handle based on device being used to watch.

We discussed that here in the past. It seems like some sort of user override on the necessity to transcode would be useful. The easy solution is to just start 2 servers, one always converting video and the other never. IIRC, one of the standalone media servers does something like that by providing a separate tree item called TRANSCODE in the view on the DLNA box. I was thinking of a database field at the time but that seems less flexible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up