INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How can I move server library to my laptop?  (Read 2471 times)

dmginter

• Recent member
How can I move server library to my laptop?
« on: April 28, 2011, 10:06:00 pm »

I have been experimenting with this for two hours.

The laptop and my main computer are connected.  I would like to take my laptop to the office with my music and then just synch them once a week?

Thanks

sunfire7

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: How can I move server library to my laptop?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 12:05:43 am »

You can use any sync program like SyncBack.  MC has the in-built option "sync library", but in my personal opinion has yet to be improved a LOT to be a complete useful feature, but you can try it and see how it goes.

Ps. Dont get me wrong, MC is the best software for manage and play music, but cant happen all overnight, step by step improving all the features to perfection, hope sync library will be in the "operation table" soon.  :)
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

dmginter

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 07:06:48 am »

Thanks- I have been playing  with sync library and I an not getting anyware.  I will try synback tonight.

MrHaugen

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 08:08:12 am »

You need:

- The same version on the server and your client
- Add media or restore the backup on the server
- Activate the server function
- Copy the url link from the library server (which you get when choosing the Library server and adding the passwords etc)
- Add library server from the client
- Paste your URL info password etc when needed

The data should be synced to and from the server when changes is done. Library server works very well in my opinion. I've used it for 1-2 months now. Even videos work well IF you have selected the "play video locally if found". That also means that you have to use the same network path on the media on the server as you would access them from the client. Example: "\\servername\media\video" and not "D:\media\video". This plays the video over the network directly, instead of relying on the server to decode, send and what not.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Vocalpoint

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 10:14:45 am »

You need:

- The same version on the server and your client
- Add media or restore the backup on the server
- Activate the server function
- Copy the url link from the library server (which you get when choosing the Library server and adding the passwords etc)
- Add library server from the client
- Paste your URL info password etc when needed

The data should be synced to and from the server when changes is done. Library server works very well in my opinion. I've used it for 1-2 months now. Even videos work well IF you have selected the "play video locally if found". That also means that you have to use the same network path on the media on the server as you would access them from the client. Example: "\\servername\media\video" and not "D:\media\video". This plays the video over the network directly, instead of relying on the server to decode, send and what not.

Hmm...interesting. I too am looking at getting Library Server going on my Windows Home Server - to serve my lossless library to my clients - but I also want to use this same collection to synch to my iPod - so "syncing" the library sounds like another possible option.

Now when I say sync - much like I think dmginter is implying - I am saying I want a COMPLETE local copy of the library (450GB) - including all files, playlists, library files...the works - in addition to the duplicate fileset on the server. Is this what "sync library" actually does? Or does it just ensure that the MC library files are synced up?

VP

MrHaugen

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 11:32:03 am »

I think so. Though I have never tried it. The thought of having two possible sources of media to maintain is not a happy thought. Even though the sync should handle most thing.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 11:56:22 am »

The thought of having two possible sources of media to maintain is not a happy thought. Even though the sync should handle most thing.

Well - only one source (the local one) would have changes made - and those changes would then be synced to the server copy. Mind you - if I was going to go thru all that - I may as well just get everything local - and then turn on library server for my PC and simply share my library out....

Cheers,

VP

dmginter

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2011, 01:10:44 pm »

I am new to MC and I am wondering why this isn't simple?

I have two computers with the same licensed copy of Media Center 16. 
I would like the same music and videos stored on both computers hard drives.
I would like to sync the two computers once a week so they both have the newest updates

Does MC have a simple button to push do to this?
 :) ?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2011, 01:18:58 pm »

Does MC have a simple button to push do to this? :) ?

Not that I know of. Do remember that MC (while the best of the best in media players) is not built for heavy duty file operations and sync/backup duties. It's a media player.

Last time I did the "sync" thing I used Syncback SE for everything. And if you are going down this road - you really need to get an app that is purpose built for file sync etc....

VP

MrHaugen

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 05:54:38 am »

Why to you HAVE to have a physical copy of the media on both machines by the way? You can't stream this music from your machine at home? You even have streaming from server to Android phones now. You only need to activate the server functionality and forward a port on your router.

I think that the library sync thing might also work, with two local copies of media. But I'm not sure who it would work when and if you add new media to one of the libraries.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 09:51:01 am »

Why to you HAVE to have a physical copy of the media on both machines by the way? You can't stream this music from your machine at home?

"I would like to take my laptop to the office with my music "

Sounds like "streaming" over the net is not on the table.

Jeez - I have a large network infrastructure at my place - but I still won't bother with trying to stream my home collection to say -  a machine at work. Too many bandwidth issues, security issues (I won't let anything past my firewall from the outside), home machine has to be on all the time, any tiny problem on the home front means instance "nothing" to the machine trying to listen on the other end....and on and on.

It's easier to bring a portable drive with 100g of stuff to work and play on....or in this case - sync the entire library to the laptop and rock on....

VP

sunfire7

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 12:19:16 pm »

It's easier to bring a portable drive with 100g of stuff to work and play on....or in this case - sync the entire library to the laptop and rock on....

VP
Exactly, and there is not internet everywhere! I've been asking for improvements on the library sync function for some time now, I hope have a response of the devs
Happy licensed MC 15-19 User :)
Mac version early bird
My english is not perfect! My native lang is spanish

MrHaugen

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 07:55:18 am »

Yes, I do see the need. I do think that Library sync between to machines should give the simplest result, even though I have NOT tried it my self. Might have some big flaws. Who knows?
Pages: [1]   Go Up