INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Decibel / SPL meter recommendation  (Read 2717 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Decibel / SPL meter recommendation
« on: May 03, 2011, 10:00:42 pm »

I'm in the market for an SPL meter to use for calibrating my stereo.

Any advice?

My guess is that even the $30 meters on Amazon would work pretty well for a 1 KHz tone / pink noise.  Actually, even my Android phone works pretty well for this!

However, I want to make sure I get something that can also do a good job with low frequencies for a subwoofer.

Thanks for any tips.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Decibel / SPL meter recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:29:22 pm »

Here is a good current thread at AVS:  Measurement Mic Shootout. Here are some instructions on how to make an accurate mic very inexpensively.

I use the Behringer ECM-8000 calibrated by Cross Spectrum Labs.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 10:46:16 am »

I posted stuff about mic's, but see that you really want an SPL meter. I have both the Radio Shack digital SPL meter and a Galaxy CM-130 SPL meter. I would recommend the Radio Shack meter since it is the standard one used at Home Theater Shack with Room Equalization Wizard (REW). It has an output jack that lets you easily connect it to your soundcard and use it as a microphone for running sweeps or test tones with REW. The digital readout is easy to read.

Radio Shack SPL Meter

There is a Radio Shack about 2.2 miles west of your house at 2701 39th Ave NE #E102:)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 08:51:17 pm »

I posted stuff about mic's, but see that you really want an SPL meter. I have both the Radio Shack digital SPL meter and a Galaxy CM-130 SPL meter. I would recommend the Radio Shack meter since it is the standard one used at Home Theater Shack with Room Equalization Wizard (REW). It has an output jack that lets you easily connect it to your soundcard and use it as a microphone for running sweeps or test tones with REW. The digital readout is easy to read.

Radio Shack SPL Meter

There is a Radio Shack about 2.2 miles west of your house at 2701 39th Ave NE #E102:)

Thanks for the tip.  I picked up the Radio Shack one.  When I went in the store, I was reminded of this article:
http://www.theonion.com/articles/even-ceo-cant-figure-out-how-radioshack-still-in-b,2190/
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mojave

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 10:21:49 pm »

That article is hilarious. Every time I go there it is to buy some cheap little connector for 75 cents. Once I bought a connector to make a VGA cable. How many people are there trying to make VGA cables? I never did make the cable.
Pages: [1]   Go Up