INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library field automatically switches from list to string when updating library  (Read 1356 times)

Opawesome

• Recent member

Hi again,

I am encountering the following problem (maybe bug).

I have created a library field called "mood" which gets a list of moods from id3 tags, all separated by semicolons. I have set the "data type" as such (list separated by semicolons). Everything works fine.

But when I update the library (from tags), it suddenly switches back to a "string" data type (!?) and I have to change the setting again...

This is somehow strange (beside of annoying) considering the fact that I have created similar fields such as "occasion" or "category" on the very same scheme and they remain set as a list in "data type".

Any idea why this happens and how to prevent it ?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Opawesome

vagskal

• Citizen of the Universe

What happens if you create a new field named Moods with the expression
Code: [Select]
[mood]&datatype=[list]
This is what I do since I think Mood is a stock field of a non list type.

Opawesome

• Recent member

Your suggestion solved the problem. Thank you very much.

Have a nice day!

Opawesome

lise

• MC Beta Team

I had the same issue. The odd thing is that I was able to change Mood to list for a while then it went back to string. Bit of a pain these default fields whose formats can't be changed. Forces us to create new fields with names we don't want.  To the very least the datatype field should be greyed out for default fields so that we don't spend time trying to change them only to discover it will not work. I spent I don't know how many hours trying to get Mood into a list type only to discover I had to create yet another custom field with a new name for Mood.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

vagskal

It might be a mistake that you can, at least temporarily, change the type of a stock field. For a while you could temporarily set some stock fields to be relational, which I found useful until that functionality was removed along with some of the data I had entered...

If you choose to show only user fields in the manage library fields options screen the field Mood is shown, but I do think it is a stock field (since it works nicely together with the custom Moods field). Maybe an option to show only stock fields in that screen would be useful.

rick.ca

I'm confused. My [Mood] field appears to be a user field (and the fact it's been restricted to video further suggests this). Maybe it was originally added by JRiver, but as a "user" field. It's a list-type and has always worked fine as such. If it didn't, it appears I'd be able to delete it and create another that did. I don't see any default fields that allow the data type to be changed. :-\

Opawesome

• Recent member

I'm confused. My [Mood] field appears to be a user field (and the fact it's been restricted to video further suggests this). Maybe it was originally added by JRiver, but as a "user" field. It's a list-type and has always worked fine as such. If it didn't, it appears I'd be able to delete it and create another that did. I don't see any default fields that allow the data type to be changed. :-\

I confirm that I, also, created the field in the database. It was not built-in.

vagskal

I'm confused. My [Mood] field appears to be a user field (and the fact it's been restricted to video further suggests this).

Really. You may be right, although my Mood field is not restricted to video (and something made me create also a Moods field for my audio files). But why would the OP have problem retaining the list type status then?

Oh, well it works now for you and me and the OP, so I guess everything is OK.
Pages: [1]   Go Up