INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good article on Firewire and USB 2.  (Read 1016 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
RE:Good article on Firewire and USB 2.
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2002, 04:20:32 pm »

so why do we keep USB, When Firewire Is Easy And Faster.

Is it they do not want to pay Apple For A License.

Why Do We Still Have A 1.4 Meg Floppy?

What Ever Happen To The 2.88 Meg Floppy?

Should Intel\AMD Chip Computers Do away With The Floppy?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

sekim

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2002, 04:29:28 pm »

Seen an Audio King ad not long ago that showed some of the high-end tv's, and other devices, now shipping with 'IEEE 1394'. Instead of a mass of cables connecting everything you just run a couple of small wires. Ain't technology great? Hope this stuff is more common in the future. What a nightmare I had when I changed the entertainment center a while back. Almost needed a schematic to get everything back as it was.

Sentryl

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2002, 06:52:21 am »

Am using an 80 Gig USB 2.0 drive for my music backup.  It works very well.  Also using Comparator to keep the two directories in sync.  Comparator does a very nice job.  I also sync my libraries and all is duplicated.  Great backup and fast and easy.  Also very portable.  Connect a laptop and you can take ALL your music with you.

[ link to comparator added by JimH ] http://www.softbytelabs.com/Frames.html

DocLotus

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2002, 08:27:39 am »

USB & FireWire...

USB 2 is pretty fast.  Many devices run on it.  Few devices run on SB1394 (FireWire), under Windows that is.  The Mac is a totally different story. I have SB 1.1, SB 2.0, & SB1394 (FireWire) & have yet to buy a Firewire device as it seem most devices now come in USB 1.1 or 2.0.  I'm sure there are FireWire devices out there for Windows but not to many at this time.  This may change in the future but I have to use my computer in the here & now.

The reason we still have floppies is many fold...

* Many backup programs such as Norton Ghost, Windows XP backup, & Windows 98 Startup disk, just to name a few, require a floppy to rebuild the Windows system.  The files on the floppy are used to “jump start”, so to speaking, the operating system.  Depending on the backup program employed, they have just enough files to access the backup program & restore the operating system &/or complete drive.  Win XP is a great example… the ASR (Automatic System Recovery) floppy has only 3 small files on it.  But that is all that is needed to do a complete restore of your hard drive including all your documents, programs & settings.

* Without a floppy there would be no way to access the operating system if your hard drive failed or had to be rebuilt.  I know, as I have had several occasions to use all of the above to get my system back up & running.

* Win NT, Win 2000, & Win XP have no DOS at all… it is gone, totally dead.  That means no DOS Prompt at all under NTFS (NT File Structure).  So if you want to have any hope of restoring your hard drive you can’t do it through the DOS Prompt as there is none.  But, you can always boot up to a floppy to troubleshoot &/or restore your system.

* It is sometimes nice to be able to carry a few small files or programs with me in my pocket when going to a friends house to resolve an unknown problem.  This happen to me just two days ago.  The floppy saved the day as it had the one critical file needed to resolve the problem & get the program back up & running.  I always carry a small (90kb) DOS file manager (PFM) with me.  This has saved the day more times then I can tell you.

So yes, there is defiantly still a need for a floppy drive.  The next time your hard drive goes south or you accidentally wipe out all your files you will understand the need.

The 2.88 Mg floppy was a good idea in its time (about 10 years ago) but it unfortunately got caught in the old BETA verses VHS bug-a-bo as who was going to be the new standard.  In the meantime it died.  It is now much to little & much to late.  Forget it, its dead.

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2002, 03:01:42 pm »

So yes, there is defiantly still a need for a floppy drive

A fortunate typo ... or a subtle statement? You decide.
That's right.
I'm cool.

just me

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2002, 06:33:52 pm »

-------
* Many backup programs such as ...

-------
Easy enough to have a CD hold the files.

-------
* Without a floppy there would be no way to access the operating system if your hard drive failed ...

-------
CD - You can boot from a CDROM - in fact, in the BIOS you can specify the order of the boot sequence, etc ...

-------
But, you can always boot up to a floppy to troubleshoot &/or restore your system.
-------
CD
Bonus - it holds more files/utils/tools and is much faster than a floppy

-------
The floppy saved the day as it had the one critical file needed to resolve the problem ...

-------
A CD has a much greater capacity thus increasing your chances you'll have the one critical file that's needed. Plus its a heck of a lot quicker.

-------
So yes, there is defiantly still a need for a floppy drive. The next time your hard drive goes south or you accidentally wipe out all your files you will understand the need.
-------
I still don't understand?  I've done many emergency restores, troubleshooting etc... all were done using a CD disc I created for the purpose instead of relying on museum pieces like floppies.

khaos10

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2002, 06:45:02 pm »

Apple again shot themselves in the foot when it came to licensing. The did it the first time in refusing to allow others to manufacture their PCs.

With firewire they wanted 2 bucks a pop to use it on mobos. Guess what everyone told them to do.  It's now a quarter to use firewire in manufacturing, but Apple relented a little to late and allowed Intel again to step in.
Pages: [1]   Go Up