INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Find and Replace fills tag with the literal Expression string, not the result  (Read 1260 times)

jmcafee

• Recent member

In MC 16.049...

For my images I am trying to replace contents of the Album tag with [filename (path)]. In other words, "OFFICE\\Pictures\..."

If I use Library Tools/Find and Replace, the expression in the 'Replace' field is literally copied to the Album tag: "=[filename (path)]" (similar result if '=filepath()' is used).

However, if the same expression is directly entered into the tag, the path is correctly substituted.

Although I know for this particular example that I could achieve the same result using Copy Fields for the 'Filename (path)' tag, the issue points to a more fundamental question:  How to use any expression to fill a tag using Find and Replace?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!

Find & Replace doesn't support expressions.  It might be a nice addition.

For now, you should be able to do the same by in-place editing or using the Tag Window.  Like a spreadsheet program, start with = to enter an expression.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jmcafee

• Recent member

Thanks, Matt.

MC is an amazingly robust program supported by a rich backbone of programability. I'm actually shocked that expressions are not used in Find and Replace since expressions are so ubiquitous elsewhere, and this seems like another natural use for it.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Thanks, Matt.

MC is an amazingly robust program supported by a rich backbone of programability. I'm actually shocked that expressions are not used in Find and Replace since expressions are so ubiquitous elsewhere, and this seems like another natural use for it.

+1 I was surprised at this too, but it was a long time ago. I just assumed it was my failure to do it right. So... a bump for this idea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up