INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audible "pop" when M-Audio changes sample rates  (Read 2963 times)

Belarathon

• World Citizen
Audible "pop" when M-Audio changes sample rates
« on: May 21, 2011, 05:57:45 pm »

Hello-

I have an M-Audio 2496 Audiophile soundcard using Windows 7 x64, Media Center, event style WASAPI (doesn't seem to matter whether it's Kernel Streaming, ASIO, or WASAPI) going analog to my amplifier.  My source material is primarily 44.1 Khz, but I also have a good deal of 88.2 and 96Khz sampled audiophile recordings.  Whenever the sound card transitions up or down in sampling rate, such as going from a 44.1Khz audio file to a 96Khz file, or vice versa, I hear an audible pop in my amplifier, which sounds quite like a static electricity discharge.  Is there anything I can do to avoid or remedy this, short of getting an outboard DAC?  Would that even help?

Thanks,

Cary
JRiver Media Center 27 → Topping E30 → Luxkit z501 or Sherwood S5000 → A/D/S L810

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Audible "pop" when M-Audio changes sample rates
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 09:56:47 pm »

When the sample rate changes, the frequency of the clock on the card is changed.  I think this will create a pop.  The volume will vary based on the hardware, but there's probably nothing you can do about it.

You'll also get a DC pop when you turn your computer on (and sometimes off).

Some cards like Creative X-Fi do a nice job of suppressing DC pop on power-on.  Other cards can really wake you up with their pop if you've got them wired to a high-gain amplifier.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Belarathon

• World Citizen
Re: Audible "pop" when M-Audio changes sample rates
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 06:42:54 pm »

Thanks Matt.  I might have to check into a Creative, provided they don't re-sample.
JRiver Media Center 27 → Topping E30 → Luxkit z501 or Sherwood S5000 → A/D/S L810
Pages: [1]   Go Up