INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on laptop?  (Read 1382 times)

duclosa

• Recent member
Advice on laptop?
« on: May 25, 2011, 03:25:46 pm »

Hello.

Using an aging Dell E1505 with MC15. Media library is local (2TB external through USB) or NAS (gigabit ethernet).

I would like to replace the laptop, as the fan drives me nuts when I listen to my music. I already put a SSD to reduce heat, but it did not do much...

Can someone advise me on a fanless laptop? The only job for this laptop is accessing the music library and playing it on a CLASSÉ preamp/amp through an AudioResearch DAC8 on B&W speakers.

Ideally, 15 inch.

Thanks in advance.

Alain.

Concordio

Re: Advice on laptop?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 07:07:47 am »

I suggest something simple, rubber wedges 2 doors at the back of the laptop lift, and heavy table, so you do not need anything else.  The air flow is much better and keeps the laptop cool.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Advice on laptop?
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 11:49:28 am »

If this particular Dell model has had a history of trouble with heat and fan noise and cycling, there may not be much you can do.  Check Dell's site for BIOS updates, particularly for fan and/or control.  Ages ago, I had a Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop, and the noise from the fans was like being behind a jet.  At first purchase, they cycled and were loud all the time.  Then after Dell addressed the issue with an update, they cycled rarely, and went into high-speed mode only under duress.

Their current BIOS for this model is A17.  Version A11 fixed some thermal control issues.  Check your BIOS version.

Hard to advise about a new laptop w/out more requirement info.  There are *plenty* of inexpensive models that will run with lower power, low heat, and hence silent.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up